A) Ask medical personnel involved in loved one's care; ask MC administration for any guidance they might have, esp if they have a social worker.
B) Contact the following and ask for guidance:
Independent Board Certified Patient Patient Advocate at
AgingLifeProfessional @
C) Look up online for your area Geriatric Care Managers
D) Call independent Social Worker in private practice and ask for tips about such a person.

Expect a fee of at least 120.00 an hour for help, but will likely be invaluable once you find the right one. I hope others have other outreach for you. If the above cannot provide what you need I hope they can guide you. ( or the National Counsel of Certified Demntia Practioners, may also provide guidance on their website.
Helpful Answer (4)
Reply to AlvaDeer

Why does he need extra eyes. Do you not visit regularly? What do u think this care manager can do that you can't. You know his likes and dislikes. MC should be giving him activities. He needs to depend on the staff around him. You are paying big bucks to have him in MC why the need to ad to the expense.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to JoAnn29

I would ask about hospice or palliative care. Some memory care places have companies that provide these services depending on the patients current needs. Right now i have it for my mom.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Jcm6361

What1ff: Speak to the Memory Care director.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Llamalover47

As well as regular visits, I had a camera (approved) in my moms room. Unfortunately it showed the lack of care provided and pitfalls of memory care facilities. Anyone who has a loved one in memory care needs to be their advocate because they cannot advocate for themselves.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to jimlindac

What exactly do you want the person to do?

If just checking in periodically, or spening an hour here and there to see how things are going, or keep the LO company for a bit, to be more economical, could just hire a private aid/ caregiver to go in a few times a week for an hour or two.

Care managers can do more, including fill you in on medical stuff, discuss medical stuff with onsite or other doctors, and the facility staff. They can also take LO to doctor appointments and then report back to you on medical stuff. But the cost will be much more as Alva says. I'm about to retain one to help out with some doctor visits etc during weekdays - I'm not sure if it will be worth the money but we will see.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to strugglinson

You could hire a companion or a sitter if you just want someone to be around sometimes. Since they don't do medical things or toileting, the cost would be less.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Fawnby

The answer would depend on why you feel you need “extra eyes”. If you are concerned that your loved one is not receiving appropriate care or you suspect possible abuse, get yourself a WiFi accessible nanny-cam from Amazon. (Cheap and easy. You can watch on your phone anytime)It’s within your rights. Also your loved one may qualify for hospice, talk to your provider. If so use a company not associated with the facility. The nurse will visit the patient as well as an aide.
I always advise people who have loved ones in facilities to;
-drop in frequently
-Random times
-stay 5 minutes or an hour doesn’t matter
-get to know staff. Develop a rapport.
(I once bought night shift pizza, valentines, and a special aide Starbucks gift cards). Weave your presence into the fabric of that facility. All that being said, if you just need someone to decipher information you could simply request the nurses/providers to explain what it means. Keep a notebook/journal that you write times, dates, events/scenarios in. Use this to guide and write questions and answers. Once again hospice could help with this at no extra cost if your loved one qualifies.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to NonnaRN

Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter