She had a stroke and now she just can't seem to be able to check her blood sugar.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Since her stroke, you say that she can't test her own blood sugar. Is she limited physically and mentally after the stroke? I would take proper precautions until she is able to check it herself. It's risky to be alone and not able to check.

Is she Type II or I? Is she taking insulin and/or pills? Her having a low would be particularly concerning. It could render her helpless and unable to summon help. I'd try to arrange for someone to be with her until she is able to handle this for herself. I'm a Type I and being able to check your blood sugar, at a moment's notice is imperative as a diabetic.

I use a Continuous Glucose Monitor, but, would really research this before investing. It has its advantages, but, it's a BIG JOB. It requires a lot of monitoring, plus calibrations, though, I hear there is a new one that doesn't require much calibration, however, it's still complicated and you have to check your BS to confirm the CGM. I'd seriously discuss this with her doctor and a certified diabetes educator, if you are interested, but, I'd talk with other seniors who use it, before, I would make that investment.
Helpful Answer (1)

Ask her doctor if its possible to get Homecare in. A Homecare that has the ability to bill Medicare. I worked for a non-profit Visiting Nurse Assoc that did this very thing. Stuff Medicare or insurance wouldn't cover.
Helpful Answer (0)

You can also call a home health care agency. Many of them staff medical assistants who are able to monitor blood sugar readings. Make sure you leave written parameters for the MA, such as (BS less than 60, notify MD or, if she is on insulin - hold for BS less than 60 or whatever her orders are). Medical assistants can give scheduled insulin, but in many states cannot give sliding scale.
Helpful Answer (0)

Hearing you request 3x week leads me to believe your mother is not on any injectibles, just pills maybe?

The CGM is a great option but yes, it’s tech. The device vibrates then alarms when the BS is low or/high. & needs attention to clear the alarms.
Plus with a CGM the person still has to do a finger stick each day to make sure the calibration reading is correct.
As far as hiring someone to come in to check, the person should have experience in interpreting bloodsugar results and know what to do when BS drops.

She can try a Freestyle Libre monitor where it’ s like scanning a barcode (the sensor) for a result. All these CGM’s have alarms as well.

Having elderly people on insulin injections without supervision can be unsafe and I am sure you are recognizing this. If she is on sliding scale Humalog this insulin acts quickly and she must eat. This is a hard situation for you.

Good luck!
Helpful Answer (1)

Here's another option. Consider a continuous glucose monitor. Depending on the model, It's something that you stick to her every few days or once a week and it will monitor her blood sugar by itself. Some will automatically issue an alert if there's a problem. All will allow you to review days worth of data later. Is the goal for an immediate response or simply to monitor?

There are issues.

1) It's tech. How comfortable are you and your mom with tech?
2) You mom needs to leave the sensor alone. Will she rip it off?
3) It maybe costly. Insurance, including medicare, can cover it. But medicare is picky about when it will.

It's something to consider. As the price comes down then I see these replacing the pin pricks for most people. It also allows a doctor to remotely evaluate your sugar levels without the need to come into the office. It's the future. The future is here.
Helpful Answer (0)

If I were to hire someone to help me, I would look for a companion to assist me.
I would test at least three times for the meal. Once before I ate to get a base for the meal to be able to measure the spikes, if any for that meal.
Second time at one hour after the meal to tell me how much that meal spiked or raised my numbers.
Third time at two hours after the meal to see if I am returning to somewhere near what I was before the meal.
If random test are used it means very little since carbs process at different rates. Some take more than two hours to process.
A random test four hours after a visit to 31 flavors would not tell me whether I could eat a certain food or not.
Many meds will affect the numbers as well. Steroids being among the worst.
Many people will have higher numbers after exercise, while other will show lower numbers.
BG testing is used by many of us managing our diabetes to learn other things that may be going on with or bodies. Like a cold, minor infections, or pain.
I would still hire a companion for at lest four hours three times a week at the minimum. The companions I hire are allowed to assist with meds but not to administer meds. Like reminders to take meds at prescribed times. And report to who ever did the hiring.
But check out the companion service very well before hiring. Some of the ones I have hired were CNA's and knew a little more than just a warm body to watch DW.
Helpful Answer (0)

Is she under the care of an Endocrinologist or just her GP? How well does she manage her diabetes? Are you talking about three days in a row? Is she on shots or pills?

If she is not on insulin injections, and her diabetes is well regulated without big swings in her numbers, and it is not three days in a row, I would be asking her doctor or dietitian if it needs to be checked as often.

If her blood sugars fluctuate wildly and variably throughout the day, and she is on injections then of course regular testing is needed.

If you have to hire someone, are they going to come in 3+ times a day? That could be challenging.

Although we often think of nurses when we think about medications and perhaps finger jabs, you maybe able to find a lab tech who is willing to help out on a temporary basis.
Helpful Answer (0)

I have no idea but perhaps you could make a phone call to her doctor or nurse.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter