I would like to know how she can turn power of attorney over to me.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Your grandma needs to go to an elder law attorney and sign a Revocation of Power of Attorney. This will nullify the original POA. Then another POA needs to be drawn up.
Helpful Answer (0)

Does your Sister want to give up her POA responsibilities? Check the POA and see if there is an alternate named. This comes into play if the first one isn't willing or is unable to act as POA. Otherwise with dementia, I think you are out of options.
Helpful Answer (0)

Power of Attorney (POA or DPOA or Springing)
POAs do not overide another.POAs is not like a WILL.A WILL will overide another by newest dated.Not the same as POAs.
I hear & see people asking about how to revoke a POA all the time because,families don't get along.
The number one question is,
Is your Grandmother legally compatent or not?This question should be answered upon any topic started about a elderly person in question.
Your GrandMother is the client.If she is legally compatent then yes she can have a attorney revoke the current POA and appoint another as her POA only if she is legally compatent!
If your GrandMother isn't legally compatent.No attorney would risk to attempt to revoke a POA.
If by chance you do find a crooked attorney to attempt to revoke a POA and appoint you as POA?The passed POA can revoke your POA on grounds that the client wasn't legally compatent at the time of signing the POA.
As you can see it all boils down to is, she compatent or not is the main factor.
If your Grandmother is legally compatent?Yes by all means she can fire her POA and in turn appoint you or anyone she desires to be her POA.
If you feel her POA isn't doing her job.Report Grandmother's conditions to the APS's.Call the Police and have a wellness check done on her to see what they find.
Ask your self this question.,
Do you want to be a POA?
POA is a bigger job then people think! If your asking to be a POA your also,asking for a finger to be pointed towards you when/if the time comes.
A POA is not needed if you are Joint on her bank account and if she creates a Living WILL and Trust.
Hope it helps .
Helpful Answer (0)

topcats, I wish we had a bit more information. If the current POA is doing clearly illegal things, then you could call Adult Protective Services.
But if you just don't "like" how grandma is being cared for, that is more a grey area.
To have POA revoked, and someone else (you or anybody) requires your grandma to inititate that--YOU cannot tell your grandma, OR your grandma's attorney, or her nursing home, that that should be done.
If grandma is too far gone to INITIATE that, then you might have to petition for Guardianship from your state.
Helpful Answer (0)

someone above wrote, "A POA is not needed if you are Joint on her bank account and if she creates a Living WILL and Trust."
this is not true; if you become incompetent and your designated POA is taking over your financial affairs, they can empty out the bank account and trust account, sell your home, everything.....there is nothing to stop a POA from doing everything to your finances, except, they cannot change a Beneficiary or TOD designation. I am not a lawyer but this is what I have learned from studying up on what a POA can/cannot do. Do your own research, and ask your own attorney for your own situation!
Helpful Answer (0)

Being POA, is a difficult job, that I would never take on, again. Perhaps your sister is just overwhelmed.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter