Has anyone ever heard of shampoo burning the skin? - AgingCare.com

Has anyone ever heard of shampoo burning the skin?

Diabetic Dad uses lotion constantly on what he believes are still bed bug bites he received last year. Recently he used shampoo thinking it was lotion on his neck, chest, and shoulders...left it on all night, got blisters and burns. He's peeling like a snake now. Anyone heard of shampoo burning the skin that badly??

22

Answers

1 3
Wow, that sounds awful mlface!
My dad is much better. ALL your replies are greatly appreciated,
Thank you

50 yrs ago I went to a dermatologist to get rid of dandruff & left shampoo on head covered w plastic cap & my face swelled up so bad you wouldn't have known me. Called my reg Dr. & thru shampoo away. Got back to normal but forget if I took anything so long ago. I'd have your dad talk to his Dr. to make sure he gets back to normal.

Actually hubby experienced it when mum told him wot was in a fruit lotion dispenser was lotion when it wasn't. And I had it happen to me (same thing but just on face!) it doesnt have to be strong shampoo or shower cream. It is the idea that its been rubbed in and left to soak in skin all night. It does go away in a short time but hurts and very red. Hugs to you and dad x

Bella, did you see the container of stuff he put on his skin? I would want to see the bottle, look at ingredients list for a clue as to why it was so harmful to his skin. And... is your dad feeling self conscious about the marks on his skin, the skin tags and moles? Is he genuinely confused about what they are? I'm sorry, I don't know any of your dad's history. Your profile says he has vision problems.

Not sure if this will help, but one of my dogs once knocked over a bottle of shampoo in the bathtub and it sat there for probably hours. Build-up I had tried all kinds of cleaners on and I thought was permanent was 100% removed where the shampoo had been. So, it may be the length of time that it was in contact with his skin that might have caused the severe reaction for your dad.

Diabetics have tender skin---elderly people also, it gets very thin over time. Is dad gluten sensitive? Many shampoos have gluten in them and left on the skin for a long period of time could definitely cause some peeling and burning. Couple of my grandkids have such sensitive skin we only shampoo twice a week b/c it irritates their skin so much.

Poor dad.

Also, he very well may have put something else on his skin--who knows? Does someone watch him 24/7? My g-ma cleaned her gorgeous walnut dining table top with oven cleaner, she just wasn't paying attention to the cleaner labels (both yellow).

If it causes burns, I seriously doubt it's shampoo unless it was somehow tainted with something at the factory at the time of manufacturing

Years ago I used to use Head & Shoulders shampoo, and it seemed to be a bit irritating compared to other shampoos and soaps. I imagine it could be worse for some people.

Yes, some medicated shampoo will blister and burn the skin. This from personal experience 😣. I thought if I'd leave the dandruff shampoo on a little longer..... Duh. Won't do that again.

1 3