Does anyone have a method to keep mom from waking up and walking at night? - AgingCare.com

Does anyone have a method to keep mom from waking up and walking at night?

Mom has progressive dementia and has declined so fast in the last 4 months. She is up and down all night long. I have to climb stairs because our bedroom is on the second floor. I went up and down those dang stairs last night 10 times. I am totally exhausted. Does anyone have any other method to keep her from waking up and walking at night. She has fallen 6 times in the 4 months she has been here. I am so afraid she will fall and break something. I don't know how she hasn't injured herself already. And to tell you the truth she is wearing me out. help?

32

Answers

1 3 4
mzdaisy, if your Mom hs declined in the past four months I dont know if you realize what a change in environment will do to her, she will be more than confused when she comes home again so beware. I was offered that when I had Hospice also but I didnt do it. They told me everyone wants someone to come to their home for a week instead but they wont do that, figures! Seriously think about asking for depakote, it worked for my Mom and also cutting the door in half so she cant fall down those stairs. Good luck, I know your pain as I went thru it for a year with Mom also.

Man, Msdaizy! Your mom and my mom must be related! I have a 95 yr old energizer bunny. It amazes me how the brain works. I can remember a few yrs ago when mom had a terrible fall. (Like your mom she has never broken a bone, and the drs. are amazed...must have been her cow Bessies milk!!) Mom was in severe pain after her fall. She was bruised terribly, and just getting her in and out of her chair to her bed was a major ordeal. She would squeal in pain. Yet, one night I heard noises so I ran downstairs to check on mom. Mind you, we have 7 steps, a landing, then another 7 steps that separate us. Mom was already up to the first landing talking to me in her sleep!!! I had to very calmly lead her back down the stairs without scaring her then got her back to bed. How in the world are they able to get up and sleep walk without pain? Yesterday when she was home for a visit, I ran upstairs to get some hangers (I was doing laundry), and no sooner did I leave her, she got up and walked herself to the bathroom. I want so badly to bring her home, but I know my situation will be like yours is (again). I am so torn. She is scared at the nursing home because she fears them. WIth me, she has not fear, but because of that she doesn't listen to me, no matter how much as beg her to. Oh, how I wish this wasn't happening!!!!

Yep, got that too. The camera with monitor set up in mom's room. I hear her every time she gets up out of bed. Because mom has this sound when she is trying to do something she if finding hard to do. Its almost caveman-like sound. uh uh uh uh. So that is my little alarm clock. One night after several trips down the stairs and back I must have zonked out. Because when my husband was getting up to go to work at 3am he says.."hey? where's your mom? She's not in the bed?" I was so tired I slept through it. I flew down the stairs as fast as I could and found her sitting on the floor...just giggling. She's 91 it baffles me that she has not ever broken a bone. Last night I went up and down those stairs 12 times.
I also have one of the clips you place on her clothing and when she sits up it sets it off. It's very loud and annoying. I don't use it. None of those things will stop my little mom. She is so hard of hearing it wouldn't matter at all to her. But the rest of my family will not like it at all.

It would be helpful to get a baby monitor with video, you put the camera in her room and the monitor in your room. Place the camera where you can view her as she is in bed, if you turn the volume up you can also hear her. There is also a monitor pad you can place in her bed, ( I forgot the name, but you can google for name ). The pad is placed on her sheet under her, when she get up off the pad it will make a sound and keep making it until you come turn it off. Keep the device that make the sound far away from her so she cannot turn it off.

Thank you Nanfranp...I remember your post. We do have a hospital bed for mom. She has been in it since she came home from Hospice House the first week in November. Side rails and all. But that doesn't keep mom from trying to get out of bed. She has been taken off all her meds. Blood pressure, hydrochlorothiazide, and is only on meds for comfort and care. She was on trazadone and ambiem but that made it worst. She would still try and get up but was almost drugged into a stooper. Couldn't stand up straight.
She is my little energizer bunny. I pray for you to get rest too. My respite is so close..and I am so looking forward to it. Hugs to you also..we caregivers need to stick together. Bless you.

msdaizy, I'm the poster who suggested a hospital bed, and would still like to encourage you to consider it, especially if you're with Hospice (which I believe you said you are). I requested one for my 92 year old husband with Alzheimer's, after I'd gone several nights with almost no sleep and had ended up in Urgent Care with the heart doing funny things. The bed was delivered next day and I haven't looked back. What a relief it is to tuck him in at night, reminding him that the side rails are to keep him safe, and then be able to go to bed in another room knowing that he will not be getting up and shuffling through the house all night, with every light blazing. I can't tell you how grateful I am for that hospital bed! I accepted the Hospice five-day respite too, and although I almost chickened out at the last minute (the thought of sending him off without me for five days brought me to tears) those five days were restorative on several levels. I believe that I, like you, qualify for another five-day respite the first of the year, and although I'll probably postpone it for a little while, I won't hesitate to let him go again when I feel the need. I will be thinking of you during your five days of respite, praying that it will give you the rest you need, and the fresh perspective that comes from taking that break. Hugs to you!

Well darn it all...last night back to the same ole same ole. I think she was up at least 12 times each time having to go to the bathroom. 3 messes...the rest little tinkling. I wish there was some miracle drug that they give that would put her to sleep and still make her able to move. The advil did work for the past 2 nights but I think its the bowel problem that kept getting her up last night. ((sigh)) I'm still here..and I think my body is starting to adjust to little to no sleep. Just looking forward to the first of the year..respite for 5 days! Thanks for your hope. I still haven't thrown in the towel yet. God Bless.

I hope it lasts for the two of you, also, Msdaizy.

Well 2 nights in a row..got sleep. I really am amazed that she is doing so well...Almost scared to write about it because it my jinx things for me. But so far with only the haloperidol drops and one advil pm mom has slept well through the night with waking up only once or twice to use the bathroom. She wakes up with a smile and not stumbling all over the place. She is trusting me more now. Oh how I hope this lasts...Because it has made a world of difference in her.

Well, last night I decided to go against all Dr. prescribed meds except the Haloperidol. I only gave her one advil pm and the Haloperidol drops(anti phsyc med) and she slept all night woke up to potty one time and slept some more. She just woke up at 11am. Plus she had a smile on her face for me. :)

1 3 4