Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Mum had 3 seizures yesterday one after the other in the space of 4 hours. She has come round from it but is incredibly low (doesnt take much to make her liek that to be fair) and now appears not to be able to stand and certainly can't walk at present. I know we are all individuals but has anyone experienced this and then seen a progression to walking again or am I to expect the slippery slope. Docs say it is probably epilepsy. You know when a doctor is lying though - their lips move!!! They dont have a clue as to what is causing it but of course they are never going to admit to being human are they? They are talking about sending Mum home tomorrow and I just think this might be a tad too early if she cant even bear her own weight!

28

Answers

1 2 3
Not in particular walking although she did surprise us with that in addition to being more lucid one day to the next. My mom had Alzheimer's and the last 3 stages really went about 3x as fast as the previous ones. She had the disease starting around 2009 and she passed away on Apr 12 and died here at her home.I remember how shocked I was to note that she was now just shuffling along like real old ladies do. It seemed to me the day before she could at least pick her legs up a little, not just scratch scratch along. There would be days when she'd be really out of it, sleeping a lot and almost incoherent... we thought "This is itl She probably won't make it through the night." Then the next day she would be chipper and smiling and able to carry on a conversation. I remember one night when she was at the point of almost having to be carried into the bathroom; she was quite helpless. We had alarms on all the doors, my caregiver was asleep and I was working in the backyard doing something with one of the ponds. Later that night, I decided to go get some gas, got my keys, walked the length of the pool, opened the door and got in my SUV. Went to 7-11 for a snack, got back in my car, drove to the gas station, got gas and when I was cleaning my windshield I happened to see these 2 naked legs with pink socks and big slippers, and there was someone in my backseat asleep in her underwear and a sweatshirt and those slippers. I thought someone had made a mistake and gotten in my car thinking it was theirs. I looked closer - and it was my mother!. She somehow managed to get by my caregiver's room, get by me working in the back yard, open the back door, open the fence gate around the pool, walk the length of it, open the garage door and climb up to the backseat of my SUV. It was as if she flew into the garage from the house. Next day she couldn't walk hardly at all. So you never know what they're capable of from one minute to the next. I've heard it's to be expected, this backing and forting where you think or would like to think they are getting a little better but slip back usually the next day.

Im in the UK hun they can be so so difficult to deal with and because I am not the quiet sort I guess I have made it more difficult for myself to be fair

Jude, please do not stay quiet about medicare/medicaid taking away the house. Raise your voice to media.... to TWITTER, to the news, medical treatment is basic in a developed rich country. Does Medicaid have the right to take away houses of the sick and needy??

Oh and on the plus side the hospital say they are happy for me to look after because they can see from her skin etc that I am doing a jolly good job - so I think I might just tell the social worker to shove that in her pipe and smoke it

Well we had a phone call today to say that Mum was very very poorly and may not last through the weekend. When we went in she was indeed very poorly then in a matter of 5 minutes - literally - she rallied and was back to yesterdays form of being happy and not wanting to stay in bed. It was hysterical when she relayed the previous night. now please dont take this as any sort of prejudice for Mum bless her just does not have the words to express herself in pc terms - she can remember the terms from her youth but not todays protocols.
She told us that a very nice 'darkie' (her words not mine Patrick is of African decent- and he was lovely ) looked after her last night BUT that he kept pushing her back into bed. I think he wanted sex with me she said and I told him I did that I wasnt that sort of girl but he kept pulling at my nightie until I just did what I do with Dad and let him get on with it. Well first thought after too much information Mum!, was what had actually gone on. So I questioned the nurses who said Mum had been very difficult during the night she had wet and soiled herself and when patrick tried to change her she kept shouting at him to get off her. Bless her. Today she is convinced she is in a place where 'you have to be nice you know or they come and wrap you in ablanket and put you in the oven - I told em I wasnt going to eat pie - didnt know what was in it.' Very very odd but at least she has rallied from last night.

Today's moptto DO CHECK BEFORE JUMPING OFF THE DIVING BOARD THAT THERE IS WATER IN THE POOL

Jude: So sorry that you are having to go through all of this. I'm not familiar with how things go over there, but sounds like you could use a lot of hugs and prayers. It may not seem like it right now, but the rough road gets smoother eventually. Remember to take care of yourself so that you can do all you need to do that's ahead of you. God bless you and you Mum.

Expect the un-expected. Epilepsy can be controlled with medications, and she will have to regain her strength and brain power to walk, but even that is not a certainty. Give her time to recover, and love her in her recovery.

Jude - I am in the UK too and we have very simialr issues to you. Our relative has been in hospital and is now home. She has no mobility and has dementia and no capacity but yet social services insist she has. If you have had reports from the PSYCH and support from the GP push for NHS Continuing health care. Also look at information on caretobedifferent. they are also on facebook. We don't have Continuing NHS Healthcare as it is a maze of a journey but those who have fought it have been awarded it. Our relative is at the stage of end of life and Social Services don't even recognise POA either. It is a battle and can say I have been subjected to hospital admission myself due to the stress and strain of it to which it has impacted on my health and welfare - now my husband is now getting checked up due to the pressures we are both under. I am ready to snap big time and will take legal action if need be and it will be very soon.

Oo, I'm with you on the number of different people coming to the house, Jude. Nightmare. I can't keep up with them all - how on earth do they think a 90 year old with dementia is going to? But we are incredibly lucky in our county with the quality of carers - they don't have enough time, and they're treated abysmally, and some are more capable than others; but they are nice, kind people and I haven't yet encountered one I won't have in the house (I've met a few in other settings, mind you).

Make friends with your community rehab team - they can work miracles. If your mother can't stand or transfer there should be a hoist in the house for the carers to use - the rules are that they must always be operated by two people, by the way; and officially we never break that. Your community team should have physios and/or OTs who will train you; but you have to learn to say "Brownie's honour I will never use this on my own" with a straight face.

They can't force the sale of the house, no; but they can put a charge on it so that when the house is sold the Local Authority will recoup care costs up to a certain limit. Have you had a visit from the LA's financial advisor? - if not, ask for one; they're obliged to send one out.

Have you got in touch with your area's CarersUK branch? Lots of people find them a godsend. I'm not quite that keen, finding it irritating when I get that much sympathy oozed over me, but they are a very good source for local contacts and advice. Plus they'll give you an in case of emergency card and log your mother's details so that if you get hit by a bus someone will go to the house, that kind of thing.

It's been a while since anyone tried to go over my head like that social worker and OT ganging up on you but I well remember the red mist. If I were you I'd contact the hospital's PALS and complain about their interviewing your mother unaccompanied - she may have capacity, but all the same she's under a neurological consultant and it's unreasonable to rely on her answers.

Oh I remember what it was! - a Heart Failure clinic nurse three years back who almost got my mother's pacemaker implant cancelled because mother told her she was "fine." I have calmed down now but I'm not sure the nurse will have stopped shaking. You can't turn your back for a microsecond...

Oh country mouse sounds like you have been through the same things in the past. MY social worker is fine - she KNOWS not to cross me - its the HOSPITAL social worker who is the persona from h*ll. We have had care support before and because of the timing and the vast number of them there are two serious issue. Times in the morning are between 7.30 and11.30 and bed is between 7.00 and10.00 at night. More than once we had a bedtime at 7.15 and not getting her back up until 11.15 the following day. now apart from potential pressure sores she was wittering for hours about when were they coming etc. All in all it became a torrid nightmare of mum complaining and moaning and wittering so much thatin the end I would have gotten her up washed her given her breakfast and had morning coffee befoire they arrived for their 1 hour visit and as for sundays....well if i had relied on them she would never have got to church which is really important to her.

The second issue is that because of the number of carer's none of them would be able to tell whether her 'wellness' was actual or deteriorating for to understand not wellness you have to know what she looked like well as it were. So carers dont work for us and never will in the way they are at this point in time.

The social worker told the assessment team there was no change in mum - she lied to them and then she lied to me when she said she never said it ...I was stood right nexts to her ffs. Prior to the episodes she could just about manage the stairs with me assisting after them she could not stand let alone walk. Prior to the episodes she could hold a cup afterwards she spilt everything down her, she could feed herself before but not after so where in gods name the notion came that there was no change I have no idea.

Then to cap it all she and the OT went to see mum together and came back saying she had capacity to make decisions and she was happy to come home with a full package of care. Railroaded..... grrrrrr dont start me off again - I want their heads on poles I am so angry about the way they behaved. Then to tell me I am not acting in her best interest when I ask for training so I can maange her (with equipment) is just beyond belief and then to say oh and you will have to sell up ...well i am over 60 and apparently they cannot make me sell Mums house and make myself homeless....so bring it on

1 2 3