How can I protect my legal right to see and help care for my injured parent?

Recently my father, 87 , fell and broke his neck. His injury is serious however he was lucky and not paralyzed. The injury occurred two weeks ago, with my finding out today when I called my fathers cell phone to arrange a lunch date. My eldest sister answered his phone and I was then told what had happened.
Historical context: There has been lifelong conflict between myself and two older sisters (middle sister triangulates), I am the youngest. The conflict had escalated within the last six months. We all live in the same town. Regarding my fathers injury, the middle sister determined that I would not be called and told about our fathers injury because of her own issues with me. The eldest sister went along with the middle sisters decision. I have a close relationship with my father. There are no problems in our relationship, or with his current care. The issue is that I was not called when he fell and broke his neck and was hospitalized (they kept me from him and kept him from the comfort of my being their during a time when he could have passed away) and as it is he needed all family to be supportive.

I was on vacation when the injury occurred- which my father knew of, but my sisters didn't. My being out of the area was not why they didn't call me. Had they called me I would have returned immediately. When I returned to town I called my father for the lunch date.
Because of the behavior my two sisters enacted I am concerned that they will continue to try to keep me from having contact with my father. What legal rights do I and or my father have so that we can maintain contact and I can help to care for him?
The middle sister who triangulates lives with my father in his home, however her name is on his property etc. in the event he dies she will continue to have a place to live. With her name in the property she feels she has a right to exercise limiting my contact with my father.

48

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Tsk. Very irksome.

I'm glad the ombudsman is taking an interest. Before you get heavy, though, keep giving her chances. Take what she says at face value: ok, so he's tired - what days are better? You'll be 'busy cooking dinner' (very hard not to get sarcastic there, but…) - so what time will you be free from your weighty domestic responsibilities (sorry didn't I just say don't be sarcastic oops my bad)? I.e. be firm and persistent but nice. If you don't go away eventually she'll have to co-operate. Do other people have 'broken record' techniques for this, similar to the ones you're supposed to use for recalcitrant children?

Very irritating. Don't let her provoke you.

Well, the middle sister keeps canceling my visits w/ this reasoning: #1 Dad is tired,#2 I need to cook dinner at the time scheduled for you (translation: You can't visit).
The Omsbudsman called and recommended I contact legal aide as her actions may well be isolation of father from family / outside world.

Sister3, your father probably doesn't recognise your sister from time to time. Her face is not as familiar as, say, yours, on account of she wasn't around that often.

I'm waiting for this to happen with my brother. When it does, it's going to be a delicate exchange:

"Mum really is losing it. She didn't recognise me."
"No, she's forgotten you. What do you expect? You're a stranger."

I'm sorry there isn't more reassuring news, but thanks for the update. Three 45 minute sessions is a lot better than seeing him whisked off out of reach, though, isn't it? I hope he begins to make progress.

I have 6 sisters. I am aligned with one and three of them have a goal in their lives to keep me and my sister away from my dad. Since I have been banned from calling my dad (almost 3 months ago) my dad has called me every day. the judge wanted to make sure he was initiating some of the calls. We talk every morning for 1/2 an hour. My sisters attempted to get me out of my dad's life, but they have actually helped us to become closer! My youngest sister has tried every trick, like, "Dad doesn't remember you", "When you leave, dad is always upset", "Dad has black-outs", etc. I even found my sisters journal which states that they threaten him with going into the nursing home if he doesn't "co-operate". They constantly lie to him and tell him that he does things and agrees to things which he doesn't. I have always been the peacemaker in the family, but I have tried and tried and they have no desire to work anything out.

Update: Thank you for sharing your concerns, support and suggestions. I have also thought that were I to get legal support that the middle sister (narcicist) would become even more wretched, and the elder sister would dig her heals in as well as she is closely aligned with the middle sister even tho she states she has to walk on eggshells. At the moment the elder sister has been the go between because the middle sister is inflexible. The middle sister has offered 3 forty five minute visit sessions per week, stating our father needs rest without intrusion other then the care team (the 2 older sisters) and the OT and nurse who come in consistently.
My father does recognize me when I visit and talks to me in current time, however my sister states he has lost cognitive ability and doesn't always recognize them or have a concept of reality. He has not made improvements since the initial injury and is also incontinent now.
In closure-- the vertebrae fractures and frontal lobe injuries have seriously impacted him.
At the moment I have determined that I will do my best to work with my sisters to try to lessen drama and further retaliation by them.
This much I know-- there isn't much room for healing this current chapter among the three sisters-- it is what it is. There is never a win win with a narcicist.

If you called him everyday how often did you visit him?

It's excessive to call your Dad every day? Then what the heck is it if you move in with him?

I rang and/or visited my mother every day from the day my Dad died to the day we moved in together, except when she was physically out of the country. I had no idea I was harassing her!

I don't understand what that judge was thinking. Maybe she's been spared (so far) from having a declining or lonely parent she worries about.

Keep your loved one out of the courts! My dad has money, so he has been being robbed of it since December when he got a court appointed Guardian of the estate and a daughter he can't stand for his guardian of the person. In the first 3 months of guardianship my sister's attorney charged my dad's estate $13,000! We have sent many letters to the judge about the guardian's mistreatment of my dad and NOTHING has been done about it. The judge doesn't care, Adult Protective Services doesn't care, the Area Agency on Aging doesn't care. Two police reports against the guardian for harassing my dad and yet no-one cares. We are on our way to the Attorney General.

This sounds very similar to my family. Our relationship with our father was going like this until one sister filed for guardianship and another sister got guardianship. Since then, in December of 2013, the sister who got guardianship has done everything to get me and my other sister out of the picture with my dad. She actually went to court with my dad's phone records to show that I called my dad every day. My dad has dementia and lives alone. I call him daily to make sure he has taken his pills, eaten dinner, etc. She doesn't check on him daily or even every other day. The judge said that I don't need to call my dad every day- that is excessive(she said). My sister (the guardian) got the judge to agree to only allowing us to see our dad at scheduled times (they are scheduled by the guardian, NOT my dad). My dad regularly requests to see me and He calls me every day. I have to tell my dad I'm not allowed to see him unless my sister schedules me. No evidence of any kind was presented in court against me; my dad lives in his own home independently, and yet he is not permitted to have the family members he wants to visit him.

I have been sitting here, reading for about 20min, with my mouth wide open, just stunned. Horror story after horror story. Someone said they were glad they were an only child. Frankly I'm glad both my parents are gone. My heart hurts for you Sis3. And for all who had similar stories. My brothers and I have never been close. (One, a year older and the other 15 years younger) But I am absolutely certain that neither of them would withhold that kind of information. Nor would they have kept me from seeing either parent. I can hardly wrap my head around that kind of childish behavior. Vacation or not you should have been told. He is you father, and what if that had been you last chance to see him? I am astonished at your sisters behavior, and I feel so bad for you.
That said, I have to agree with all who said do whatever it takes to make peace. Eat a s... sandwich if you must. I would not put it past them to find a way to get a TRO, to keep you from you Dad. And start, right now, and quietly, finding a way around them. If you can afford a lawyer, get one. The fact that they openly admit their actions were "payback" means they are sure they have, and will keep, all the control they need. As soon as he is able get your Dad to sign the HIPAA waiver. Then you will, at least, have access to his medical condition. I don't know what should come next, but your lawyer should be able to tell you. Be as pro-active as you can be. Fight for your right to have access to you Dad, when you chose, not when they chose. But do it quietly while kissing up to their faces. My thoughts, and prayers are with you. Good luck.

1 2 3 4 5