What can I do when a person with POA is neglecting an elderly person? - AgingCare.com

What can I do when a person with POA is neglecting an elderly person?

We have been trying to help a 93 yr old neighbor who has been neglected by the women who has power of attorney over her care. Filed three separate cases with Detroit DHS who proved to be useless. What can we do?

34

Answers

1 3 4
I agree. Try to contact Social Services, then I would try with the Agency of Aging. Hope this helps!

What a wonder person you are for taking in Angel's dog. Hope Angel knows you have her dog so she won't be worried. I would send a note to the nursing home and ask them to tell her you have her dog.

And what a fabulous idea about using one of those portable doorbells for someone who is in bed and needs your help. I'll have to remember that :)

Thank you to all that given advise and criticism. I wish I had come across this site while I was caring for my mom..my mom died feb 12 2014, she had parkinsons and copd, she moved in my home 6 years before she passed and for the last 4 of her life I was 24hr caring for her, we had a home depot door bell on her hospital bed that when she needed me I was there. I needed this forum so bad then but maybe was to into the throws of her care to much to have even found this site. my mom was my world and I had her power of attorney and never ever would have or could have treated someone in the way I have watched. people don't get involved because it isn't there business, its to ugly or time. trying to get this neighbor help and now she's in a home without her dog, yes she is fed and bathed, and the poa doesn't want me or anyone to see her and of course I talked to her in the begining to have someone come in to care for her but she is to busy spending angels money . she suspects me as someone who contacted DHS. she might have been a friend to angel 40 yrs ago but shes no friend now! Good luck to all of you caring for your families, your tired, frustrated and need help that I"m sure your not getting enough of. God Bless you guys and I'll post again if I see angel , and Ill take good care of her dog in the meantime!!

nadia556, since this woman is now getting care, and chances are from rehab she will go to an assistant living facility, sounds like she won't be returning to her home since items from her home are being removed.

No need to keep worrying about her... now you can visit, and bring along the dog if the dog has a clean bill of health. By the way, who told you she can't have visitors?

nadia thankgod there are people like you around! POA can take a case to court if a person is a danger to herself and refuses help? So this wasnt done then? yes stories like this would break your heart youre doing the right thing and being an animal lover thankgod youre taking care of him!

she has dimentia and still has the right to proper care. she is powerless by herself. her home was over 100 degrees and she didn't how to even get a fan....Is that what has become of all of us, that we don't care because of this....such an issue.....I doubt when she gave power to this women she didn't think this would happen. its hard to even watch yet alone be involved. she has money and could have stayed in her own home with people there to care for her. now she doesn't even have the only thing she loved more than anything, her dog. her home had dog beds, dog toys everywhere......thats ALL that was important to her! and she is powerless to the one making the calls for her life!!!!!!!!! Powerless

nadia556, could it be that in the past that Angel refused any type of medical care? The POA can only do so much if someone doesn't want any help.

OK, better understood now. Obviously you are the only one who cares & God bless you for your efforts. You are doing the right thing.

the day the third case was filed to the DHS for neglect we had to call an ambulance for my neighbor who I'll call angel....angel was dizzy, couldn't walk right, dehydrated and blood presser 210 over 100, I contacted the women with the poa..her number was on the fridge. asked what hospital to use for her doctor..aside from an ortho dr due to a fall 3 to 4 yrs prior, angel didn't have a dr. she has the right to medical care!! So DHS contacted again. person with poa letting now one see angel, saying we where bad. When angel was taken to hospital I promised her I would care for her dog who was in as bad condition as she was. she loved her dog more than anything. she was sent to rehab from hospital, where she is now...poa wont tell anybody where angel is tells the men who are throwing angels life into a dumpster in her driveway that a women stole angels dog.....today I found where angel is and I will reunite her with her dog again no matter what......Nobody cares........angel has lived in horrable conditions with NO family. her husband and son have passed and NOBODY can make the women deciding angels life be a human being. So what do I have to gain by helping....NOTHING! I"m sure this place where angel is has been told she is to not have visitors but I"m bringing her dog in and to reunite angel with people she loves and knows....when its on the news people say oh isn't that sad!!!

nadia556, if you could please go back to my posted comment and answer some of those questions, that would be very helpful.

1 3 4