Demented parents (77 and 74) banned me from visiting them yesterday? - AgingCare.com

Demented parents (77 and 74) banned me from visiting them yesterday?

I'm (41) ok, but now depressed and can't work properly. My dad was having an episode when he was accusing me of steeling his internet (i live 10km away), and that was the reason he was getting kicked off the internet. when i came to their (mom and dad) apt, they yelled get out of here, dont want to see you here any more, dont want you at my funeral.
Anyway i did not deescalate it but rather fuelled the scene and we were all yelling. i called them demons and to go to church.
now we dont talk, day one i felt good but now i feel out of wack, depressed and not motivated to do any work or anything. need help.

19

Answers

goingloco--

My 86 yo mother WITHOUT dementia, kicked me out of her life last year--just before the holidays. It hurts, esp. when you haven't DONE anything to cause it! I wish I could blame mother's behavior on dementia, but I can't.

In a therapy session, my therapist said "I want to know that you can Just. Quit." Meaning, quit talking to her if she doesn't want me around, quit letting her get under my skin, etc. It was a simple question, but, wow, she was right. It was hard, but I have indeed Just. Quit.

I feel for you--both parents, guilt, no doubt, but if they aren't going to be able to be decent to you--perhaps you too, need to Just. Quit. Maybe just for a while, maybe forever. I'm sure when mother gets really bad she'll want me back, and I will go, but I will go and be very self-preserving. She made my holidays miserable, well, I allowed her to, she didn't care. I can only help how I feel, I cannot change her.

Best of luck to you. Try call-screening and don't talk to them. It it's truly important, they'll let you know. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Well it's day 6, he's called me 2 times yelling on the phone And saying "I may be crazy but you don't go around saying I m crazy, I said I don't want to see you again" boom hang up..... Since I have been to the family doc and she (doc) said, she will talk to him just to see how he's doing and she said I do this all the time and talk to patients. I did not lie I only said he kicked me out of their apt during visit and they don't want to see me anymore... I'm ok now. Dust is settling, and I'm not sure if I handled it any different way if the outcome would be different than now. They are self sufficient with the exception of language barrier, I would say 30%

Goingloco, how is it going?

Is there a doctor/family friend/clergy who can intercede? Other than that, I would agree to simply get yourself some type of support, perhaps through a support group in your area.

Goingloco,
I'm impressed that you are seeking help for yourself. Getting medical care, therapy, etc. is so beneficial. Plus, getting support here is a great idea too! I hope you can find some peace. Keep in mind the dementia makes already difficult people more difficult, in the early and mid stages.

It seems you have a pretty good picture of what it is going on with your parents. Sadly, we can't always fix some problems. And sometimes we are not equipped to address it by ourselves. I think I might strive to handle my needs so that I could stay physically and mentally healthy and let others help my parents.

As their dementia progresses, they will likely need intervention into their lives as they will likely lose the ability to run their household, care for their physical needs and protect their finances. I would locate the proper agencies that investigate, intervene and oversee such situations and alert them at the proper time. It sounds like they are not prone to accept help from you.

I would keep in mind that with vascular dementia, the patient may change over time and eventually does not resist, fight or attack. My cousin stopped being impossible to be around as her vascular dementia progressed. She is now quite pleasant, grateful for all things and hardly says much at all, except how much she loves me.

I wish you all the best.

thank you so much for your help. I m going to see doc after work and will report back. you have given me so much light into the sitaution and I really appreciate it. today I think I will be ok, I came preped with super duper omega 3 caps and lorazepam 1mg :). im a big guy so this kind of onky scratches the surface.

It is very hard not to take it personally. No matter how I try to reassure myself, I usually end up feeling at fault and that I'm a bad person. Don't ask me why I feel that way. I guess we are still that little child inside that feels like if Mom or Dad is mad, then we must have done something wrong.

Hi Going Loco,
I'm going through the same thing with my mom in the dementia unit. She's mean, nasty, vindictive, accusatory and rude. I've put up with it for months and can't take it anymore. I'm bummed out the rest of the day after our visit. I'm still able to work but, come Sunday after church (our visit time), I start getting anxious, 'cause I know what's coming.

I started a question about this (Should I leave or stay?) on this forum and all 7 respondents say to either leave early, visit only twice a month (instead of every week) or don't visit at all! Everyone says I need to keep my sanity and don't need to be subjected to her wrath. I'd say the same for you too.
Can they take care of themselves? Or do they depend on you for errands, chores and house responsibilities? If you are the "glue" that holds their lives together, then that's not really going to work if you 'have' to be there. If they can still manage their lives, then, by all means, take a break and stay away. You can't change or "fix" them. You can only protect and nurture yourself. If you have any mental health insurance take advantage of it. It often helps to get a different perspective when talking things out with a professional.
I had started to type, "Please don't take what they say personally", but that's exactly what I CAN'T do. It just hits home, no matter how much you rationalize that it's their disease talking. In my case it's best to stay away for MY mental health.
You will learn not to argue or talk back or try to change ideas. It does not work.
The Alzheimer's Assoc. website has a lot of good information on it.
Good luck. We're all in the same boat.

I just wish I knew of this website 15 years ago. I did not know of so many people affected with this, it's crazy, bowel movement complaining, constipation pattern is the same

They have been difficult people all their lives. They have no friends, since 2000s zero, and everyone is avoiding them because they have no manners are rude and can't stand anyone. They are looking for fights with everyone. My mom Is the silent one and the one that usually fills his head. He is very imaginative and tells stories, he's got a story about everyone but it's based on imagination not on facts. He showed signs of dementia before but this stroke has accelerated all. You can't give him a good med As he questions everything and is in denial. He says nothing is wrong with him, we are all crazy. This is day 3 now, and this has been the worst episode so far. I feel that it will last. For the last 20 years of my life I tried and tried to get them better and I always thought they will get better but they are meaner and meaner, I'm so down now that can't elaborate anymore on specific examples.
Like I said instead of him getting the meds, I am ending up at the docs asking for benzodiazepines.