We have a day-time caregiver that works from 8-4 for my parents but we need someone to stay all night. What are our options?

My father had a stroke after which my mom had a slight stoke do have a daytime carer that works from 8-4 daily but am need of someone to stay from 4pm until 8am. They would be provided with a wonderful room with full bathroom facilities and a mechanism for emergency situations. They are both on walkers but are improving. Therapy and nurse assistants come on a 3 day basis.

20

Answers

I just wanted to suggest you try finding someone thru your Temple or Church . I found some very good people thru ours . I did of course do background searches on them . We pay $15 an hour and she works about 16 hours a week. Id love to get some overnight help a couple times a week .

I have found some great caregiver aids thru contacting my local Temple. I assume the same could be done with Churches. I did also do checks on these people . Who i hired outside of agency . Id love to get some night time help . Im looking for funding for that. We pay our aids $15 an hour but she only works about 16 hours a week

debbie0903, are you asking the original poster mtidwe2? If so, that post was written back in 2010. Unfortunately, the original poster never came back on line to answer anyone's questions.

4pm to 8 am is 16 hours. First ten at $10/hr=$100. Next six at time and a half or $15/hr= $90. Plus what you pay as the employer for taxes, workers comp and unemployment insurance. Over $200 a day in addition to what you pay now. Check your state laws for domestic help--some have strict limits on what you can offset with room or board.

Upcountry, my gosh if I am reading this right your day care provider is working two shifts. Does the care provider stay awake all through the night? Usually a night shift person stays awake the whole time.

As for the going rate, it all depends on where you live. In the large metro areas the rates are between $25/hr to $30/hr plus or minus. Usually anything over 8 hours one would get overtime pay.

My day care provider comes in at 2:30 pm and spends the night till 9:00 am the next morning. What is the going rate for this?

Hello, are there places that will take my 84 year old father for 2 days up to a week while we go on vacation?

I don't know but when you find someone to stay at night let me know. We need someone to stay with my dad at night so my sister can go home to her husband before there relationship is ruined. hugs stormyyy

Caregiver7: Have you found another job yet? Sorry I didn't get back to you as promised. Does your mom own her home and is it paid off? I don't know how you are managing with your apartment if you are still unemployed. At any rate, it doesn't sound like you get to spend much time there anyway.

I was wondering about two things. One, is it possible to find a caregiver who would be willing to move in with your mom and provide night time care in lieu of rent. No doubt she would want a couple of nights off, maybe on weekends. The other thought was you moving in with your mom and giving up your apartment.

The reason I mention you moving in with your mom is that in many states, if a child lives with the parent in the parents home and is their caregiver, the house will be exempt from Medicaid Recovery and will go to the child. I live in Washington state and I think the requirement is that the adult caregiver child has to have been living with the parent for 3 years. The time requirement varies from state to state. In some states it's 2 years.

I know you love your mom very much and do not want to put her in a nursing home, but the day may come when it can't be avoided. If you were able to keep her home for yourself (if, in fact, she owns her home) then you would at least have a valuable asset. You could at some point sell it, relocate out of state and get on with your life.

I know money/assets are not your motivation and that you want your mom to have the care she needs and you want to have the life you need. I don't know how to give them both to you at the same time, especially if a NH is out of the question.

Keep in touch. Cattails

There are so many elderly ppl who need care, medical, physical, I pray someone will find a way for them to get the proper care. I'm a 60yr old caregiver to my mother who's 93. She's total care, but can still feed herself.I have R.A an is limited to what I can do.She has a Wonderful aide who's here with us for 4 hrs a day 6 days a week .My advice to the caregivers is to trust in the LORD, pray, believe, and He will provide for you. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have Him in my life. My prayers are with all caregivers and their patients. GOD bless you all.