What do I need to have on file to be able to talk on my Mother's behalf to Dr's and Hospitals, Financial people, etc.? - AgingCare.com

What do I need to have on file to be able to talk on my Mother's behalf to Dr's and Hospitals, Financial people, etc.?

Both my parents live with my husband, and I and 3 children. My dad is still very sharp at the age of 75 works part time and is in good health. My Mom has always been in good health too, but the past 6 months or so we have been noticing her Thought process not being as it used to be, She is forgetting people in her past, forgetting things she has done all her life, etc. We are in the process of obtaining a DX for her. Having some tests done next week. My concern is My mom has always handled all the financial stuff and my Dad has never had to deal with it. I think she is OK for now, but I am little concerned about what is going to happen if her condition worsens. Also would like to have a paper saying that all doctor's and such can talk with me. She gives them permission but if her mental state continues to change that may not be as easy to get from her. Just not sure what I should do? Power of Attorney? Don't know that I need that, my Dad is still very capable but just not used to doing some of these things. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

27

Answers

1 2 3
do not share the poa's with anyone, there needs to be one person who makes the final decisions but DO HAVE PA backs up #1 and #2 i the event something happens to you!!!! Mom has a simple will and trust.

you will need medical and financial power of attorney to act on her behalf. why you are at it it would be wise to get the same for your father. Before I got both of these, my mom had to have surgery and I took her to the surgeon, the hospital, pre surg lab work, a heart stress test with die etc. For some reason, since I was the one bringing her and scheduling everything everyone gave me information even her new pcp. Thereafter, the paper work was needed.

What do you do when your mom has mental health issues and her husband is "slow" ? My mom has been diagnosed with paranoid delusions so she is skeptical of everyone and doesnt even trust me, even though I am the one seeing to everything for her (and running myself ragged in the process). I just want to make sure she is safe and her money lasts as long as possible because she is not that old and has years and years left that she will need assistance. How can I safeguard her money from her husband (who steals from her) and make sure she is getting her medications etc ?

cmagnum, I don't know if I'm considered co- owner on her checking, I just know I'm on it enough to write out checks from it. I guess tho I'm not because she needed to do a withdrawl from savings & she had to be with me. I couldn't do that o n my own. My BIL does her income taxes & we just have her sign it. She signs most of the checks we send out. I fill out who they are going to for her. I keep her involved to let her know that she still is in charge of her money. Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

The parent has to be the one signing the POA before a Notary for it to be valid. My mother signed both POAs and listed me by name as her POA. My signature does not appear on the documents.

You do not need to involve an attorney if you cannot afford it. I did not and everything was fine. Just the notary is all you need. I sign my name and then write "for" then my parents name I print. As long as those agencies have the copy of your POA, you are covered.

With my Aunt, the hospital explained the Durable Power of Attorney to her prior to her surgery and she was happy to sign it, 'Just in case'. She is still sharp and able but usually tells me to sign for her anyway. All decisions are hers at present, but should she be unable to make them, I can take care of it for her. It is a big responsibility to be a POA and a good idea to keep detailed records of each and every time you sign something or make a decision for her. You never know when you might be asked to verify something.

Good information. I checked it out online. Shows a short video. if necessary you need an attorney while filling out these forms it will let you know. Thanks for the info.
Equinox

Quicken WillMaker Plus 2012 Has everything your gonna need.

ZOEY1ZULU2, Yes, you can get Medical POA for it is a separate POA from the Durable one. Without that medical POA there will be some doctors, particularly in hospitals who will not talk with you without it due to privacy laws which a doctor is breaking if he or she talks with you without you having the medical POA.

However, your BIL's durable POA will cease upon your MIL's death. Who is the executor of your MIL's estate? Whoever it is will be dealing with the financial and property matters after your MIL's death. Does someone know where her will is or does she have one? My mother could not remember where her's was and it took me forever to find it, but I did.

BTW, paying her bills is a lot of what a durable POA does and often a bank likes to know who the durable POA is. Are you on your MIL's accounts as co owner with right of survivor ship? Many people with a durable POA are not and can only deal with money matters because they are. I'm my mother's durable POA and about 10 years ago she made me co owner of all her accounts with right of survivorship. However, when ever monthly long term care check comes in each month, I have to sign it for deposit as her POA. When I sign her tax returns done by the CPA, I sign as her POA with a special ID number from the IRS. BTW, who does your MIL's tax returns and signs them?

1 2 3