I like Agingcare.com but where is the forum for aging spouses taking care of their spouses ill with dementia etc?

Spouses need a place to vent too. Spouses that are aging taking care of aging ill husbands and wives need to feel welcome on Agingcare.com There is a whole community of us that feel unwelcome on Agingcare.com. We are getting the most stress due to the fact it is so hard on older spouses immune system.
We need to vent and help too. What are we chopped liver? Does not seem correct to me.

19

Answers

Here is a great article, from agingcare.com about caring for a spouse. You spouses are not chopped liver.
https://www.agingcare.com/News/nobel-prize-winner-dementia-162705.htm?goback=%2Egde_1904533_member_5799207447780417537#%21

I want to know why we cannot delete our own posts! Sometimes we all enter something here that we want to take back. I'll bet the psych types are all just waiting for us to crack :-P

Thanks, bellas. To follow a thread, I have found out that I cannot press "Following" on my Kindle. I checked my sis's IPad 2 and the same applies. You can click on the "Following" button on your laptop or desk computer. BUT, you have to make the screen on MAX (not MINIMUM or small like I prefer). Once you have a FULL screen, on the LEFT side of this OUTLINE, are boxes for Share, Like, Tweet, g+1, Comment, Following, Print, Email. Click FOLLOWING.

I found another way to follow when using the Kindle. Comment. Once you comment, sometimes it will pop up on your NEWS FEED (located on the top right box ACCOUNT) If you click NEWS FEED, it will show you the Last comment posted on what you're following.

I just did that, and read Bellas post with my name on the front line. So, I clicked here to see what's up. =)

book...you saw correctly and cringed appropriately...FloraSteele, I don't post enough to follow me but there is a topic called "How do I handle a sex crazed husband with dementia..." that I believe is still active. Also it might be helpful to go to the top of the page and do as I did to find the site bookluvr came across and just enter the word "sex" and press search. You will have a list appear from which to select, read and follow if they are still active. The sex issue is really a huge problem for the caretaking spouse, so FloraSteele, I do hope you find the link and get connected with others dealing this problem. @bookluvr, you are most kind in trying to help Flora...I love this community! Such a blessing to be able to share the common 'pain' the 'outside' world doesn't understand.

Flora, there was a thread here in which you married people were commenting. I do believe "sex" popped up - not in detail but..very very general. I was skimming as in speed reading and that caught my eyes. I never realized how much more difficult it is for married couples when one spouse has the dementia. I never thought about...what if your husband who has dementia and absolutely refuses to shower wants to be very very intimate with you in bed? I read that and just cringed. Okay, you all win hands down on that. And I skipped to the next thread. Sorry, I can't remember which thread I read that from. =)

To "Follow" Bellas, just click on her name to get to her profile. When you do, hit the "Follow" button.

I know it said "parent" but I figured a lot of the problems were the same, so I went ahead and posted, usually starting with "we're both 70". I've heard from some very nice spouses caring for spouses, and the people who give me advice thinking it's for my "Dad" are very nice too.

I haven't got around to posting about marriage/romantic problems,but I probably will sooner or later. I'll try to figure out how to "Follow" you, and mention you to some other spouses who post here.

Good luck!

@jeanne, i think sharirose was desperate for help, at her wits end, and desperation can blind us to the bold print and the fine print, the back and the blue print, I don't think she was mad at AC or that her chopped liver was directed toward AC, it was directed at her circumstances and herself. I pray she did connect somewhere to get the help she needed and wanted as there are many other talk forums that she might have found fit her need a little more. She was in pain as am I and as are many others.

The original post goes back to July, and I don't think that sharirose has posted anything since August. But this post makes me smile and shake my head. It is like going to a discussion board that is set up for users of Microsoft's PowerPoint application and complaining because there is no forum for users of Crystal Report. So what are the CR users -- chopped liver? :-)

The title of this site CLEARLY says it is for persons caring for their elderly parents. It is silly to criticize them for not having forums on caring for spouses or converting European recipes to American measurements or anything else not related to the purpose the site was created.

Many of us caring for someone other than our parents do find the site useful. But to be angry that the site does not cater specifically to us is pretty funny.

@book...my heart goes out to you...verbal abuse is worse than physical but in my first marriage I drew the line at the physical abuse and divorced him. My husband's son seems to have 'divorced' his dad completely maybe that would work for you @:/ Glad you are on the site here since much wisdom has been shared about how to handle these very difficult parents...what makes me sad for you and others is that the parent was most likely the same way to you as a precious little child and now you have to go through it again? I could repeat all the advice I have seen given to others in your circumstance but I know you continue to read the experiences of others and glean from them on how you can apply their wisdom to your specific set of circumstances. Choose wisely and keep following the posts so you don't get lost in the years that are ahead of you. Hugs.

{{ chuckling }} Bella, and here I was feeling sooo envious of you that your hubby was shining his "light"! Father is also both physicall/verbally abusive.... And he's just starting on the road to dementia...