I can't seem to find out if anyone pays for her diabetic supplies. Each part of Medicare tells me another part is responsible for it. The pharmacy has all of her insurance profile on file, and I end up paying out of pocket for her insulin pen needles. Each part of Medicare tells me another part is responsible. So far it seems like I am the only one responsible.

There are co-pays on all of my diabetic supplies under Part D drug coverage. With co-pays. I pay a total of about $140.00 in co-pays for insulin, needles and test strips. I have Express Scripts for my Part D coverage.

You need to read the policy You will find it in D. My mom has co pays for the needles and a portion if the insulin. Just like other drugs, I find that the copay on insulin is 40% less between 2 pharmacy providers. You could shop around.
Find her insurance card to determine her plan. She should have received a book prior to open enrollment for her to compare plans. She is now at the deadline for open enrollment.
There are other ways to compare drug prices...online Medicare, or contact your state if they have a booklet.

If you can find a copy of the "Medicare and you" hands books for 2018 and 2019 they explain this pretty good. And what supplies may be paid for and the co-pays associated with them.
jacobsonbob Dec 2018
Is it available online?
(0)
I would think if its part D the pharmacist should be able to tell u what Medicare pays. If ur supplimental has express scripts it maybe the cheapest way to go. When you get this straightened out, I would ask how you can get reimbursed for prior purchases.

An insurance agent spoke with my Mom & I on how she would be better served by switching to a "Dual Silver Plan " because she is also diabetic & has Medicare & medicaide. On the dual plan she has no copay for anything . No copay for Dr. visits , hospital stays, E.R. visits, ambulatory transports, medicines etcetera. Although the pharmacy had a time trying to get her test strips to go through. The agent tried everything , even a three way call between myself, insurance rep and he , while the pharmacist listened to the whole thing on speaker. We finally ended up getting her test strips, prep pads , pen tips & meter through the mail all from one company after her doctor filled out paper work (presciption) & faxed it to them

Insulin pen needles are about $400 to $700 a month just for the delivery system, so there may be issues about the pen with her insurance. Getting insulin bottles and needles are much cheaper (although insulin is hardly cheap). Learn to draw them up yourself.

Just in case anyone isn't aware of it. Medicare has added an additional time period for people with Medicare Advantage plan to make a change to a different plan if they don't like their current plan. It will be Jan.1 - March 31.

I found out that part D is in fact responsible however they don't contribute to what they call the "copayment." They claim they negotiated the pharmacy price from 53.00 for a box of 100 needles to 46.00. I pay the full 46 dollars. This is Value Plus through Aetna. Anyone else have any experience like this?

Hello, my Mom received a referral from her Doctor to EMedical. She gets her needles and strips free-mailed directly to the house. Mom is covered via HealthNet/Medicare Seniority Plus(?). She is in California. I would speak with your Mom's PMC Doctor about options

Your Mothers Medicare Part B pays for Diabetic Supplies. If she has a Medigap Insurance policy Plan F she shouldn't pay anything out of pocket. If she has plan G and hasn't yet met her Part B deductible she’ll need to meet that then her supplies would be covered. If your mother is not on original Medicare and is in a Medicare Advantage Plan then her Advantage plan benefits apply.
I hope this helps. If not and if you're still confused and needing help feel free to contact me. Good luck.
I don’t think this answer is very clear. There are certain things under Part B (like test strips) but others under Part D if they have a Medicare Advantage. There are 4 diabetic supplies covered under Part D. The remainder is Part B.
(0)