I, for one, would like to force whatever congressman who came up with this idea to have all of his family fall into a donut hole and never be seen again. You get hit with having to pay Medicare, and then you have to have a supplement to cover what Medicare does not pay, and then they hit you up for even more money if you get the part D coverage for meds. Sorry if this does not really fit here, but it seems they are out to take every dime we get from Medicare back with all sorts of charges. Sad way to treat people, especially those who are limited on their income. Keep looking for help with the meds, and let us know.
Reply to Rome36863

Perhaps it's time to speak with her doctor about whether or not she needs to be on those medications. Discuss ways in which your mother can taper off medications safely. And ask about cheaper generics, or older drugs that might be both cheaper and acceptable substitutes.
Reply to NYDaughterInLaw
JoAnn29 Sep 23, 2019
If a name brand has a generic, the insurance company will require you to use the generic. The only way you can get a brand name is if there is no generic or the doctor tells the insurance company that the patient can only use the brand name.
(1)
Medicare is not the problem, its the prescription plan you have chosen.

Every state is different which Medicare suppliments are allowed to write policies in that state , I suggest u contact your Office of Aging and ask if there is someone who can help you explore your options, Depending on Moms income, she may qualify for a State plan. In NJ its called PADD. Maybe even Medicaid. It may be for a little extra money a month her meds maybe cheaper.

If you end up going with GoodRx, make sure you go online and get a coupon for wherever you are going to get the RX filled. You find them on the GoodRx website.
Reply to MarilynR
needtowashhair Sep 26, 2019
GoodRx rocks. I was dubious and never had to use it since we have insurance. But then I needed meds for the dog. Dog doesn't have insurance. GoodRx knocked between 50-70% off the price.
(4)
While in the donut hole, you should still not be paying the entire cost of the medications, If you are, there's some problem here. Eventually you will probably get out of the donut hole and into catastrophic coverage, and the medication costs should drop dramatically. The amount of expense that gets you into the donut hole and then gets you out of the donut hole and into catastrophic coverage is the same for all plans and is determined by lae. What particular medications cost IS determined by the plan. When you get ready to select plans for 2020, you can get help in figuring out what plans would be best for her current medications.
Reply to caroli1

These other responses are more informed than I am on this subject; all I have to add is to see if you can get a better price without insurance and with a coupon from goodrx.com. I’ve used it to save hundreds.

Also, in the long term, our prescription drug situation in the U.S. is completely untenable and the result of politicians being bought by pharmaceutical companies. We should all be voting for candidates who unequivocally support single-payer Medicare for All with coverage for prescription drugs and long term care (and that would be Bernie Sanders).
Reply to vegsister
Airplaneduck Sep 30, 2019
Yes with Medicare already going broke.... great idea put everyone on it so it will go broke in a few months.
(2)
Your doctor. He gets 6% of a lot of prescription costs. Most dementia drugs are completely unproven as whether they help or they do not help. Other drugs that are costly have generic drugs that are old and work as well as the new ones. Tell the doc you need to review drugs and costs NOW as you cannot afford them.

Try this medicare program called extra help to see if your mom qualifies.

https://www.medicareinteractive.org/get-answers/cost-saving-programs-for-people-with-medicare/the-extra-helplow-income-subsidy-lis-program/extra-help-basics

Also look up her prescription on GoodRX.

Consider less expensive alternatives.
My aunt started off with Aricept and then she was also prescribed Namenda. The Namenda was so expensive on her drug plan. So after searching on line I discovered there was an alternative.
I contacted her doctor and asked for Namzeric which is a combo of aricept and Namenda and that year was less expensive on her drug plan than the two separate pills.
Now it’s the opposite. The two separate pills are less expensive than the one combo. I was able to get 90 days supply of the two pills for less than only 30 days of the Namzeric.

Hope this helps.
Reply to 97yroldmom

My mother also has that problem. Mainly with her asthma inhaler. We called the pharmaceutical company and they sent her out paperwork that allowed her to get the medication for free from them. This happened every year. Now she is on generic and haven't had the problem.

bottom line: call the pharmaceutical company and ask for hardship program.
Reply to MarilynR

I just ran across honeybeehealth.com. Wholesale pricing on meds, currently licensed in 38 states.
Reply to paperlady