I just noticed my Mother is not wiping from the back anymore when after using the bathroom. What should I do?

She just had another UTI. She uses pads a lot too. I have been saying "wish we had a beday, you know the water spray toilet" but we don't and I'm not sure that would even do the trick.

31

Answers

1 2 3 4
WEAR NITRILE GLOVES! I can't emphasize this enough. Protect yourself from fecal bacteria. If it's super gross, wear two pair. Mom gets to wear a pair too! Pull them off inside-out so whatever is on them doesn't fly around.

The change in ability and understanding may need more than a simple device to correct for it. Talk to the doctor about this. Ask him to order an OT assessment that may also catch other ADL problems. This is key to get Medicare coverage for assistive devices/services. And all bathroom trips have to be supervised start to finish.

There will come a time when self- toileting is not an option any more. Mom may need to upgrade into disposable briefs or the kind with tape fasteners and be changed on a schedule. Continence issues typically do not improve unless it's about a change in diet or an infection that needs to be cleared up.

You can't put your foot down if the person has cognitive loss. Learning new skills or even keeping old ones is not possible. We have to just get it taken care of.

Vigorous hand washing, hand sanitizer, and all the Hail Marys you can do.....

Wannek: Oh, yuk! And also elders have mainly lost their olfactory sense so they don't even know they're injesting poop! SUPER DISGUSTING! Buy a nail brush and put your foot down about her using it!

If it does get on her hands, make sure she thoroughly washes her hands so that she doesn't spread it around especially not to her food or anything else that goes in her mouth.

Not only disgusting, dangerous if she ends up eating it

Stressed:I know, right! Poop under the nails is SUPER DISGUSTING!

I meant to say maybe she just isn't wiping the poop anymore!

The plastic bidet attachement from Mercola, Amazon, etc, just screws on to the water line where it comes up behind the toilet. It fits right under the seat, and I don't even think I had to move the seat to attach it. What I did not like about it is the water is COLD in the winter. The only time I found it comfortable was during the summer when the pipes on the outside of the house were warmed in the sun. It was not easy to use by any means, and if you were not motivated to use it, you would not. I uninstalled mine after 6 mos, and I found a lot of fecal contamination on it even though I clean my toilet well every week. I don't recommend them for old folks, only us young ones who want to try something new.

I liked the idea of having a hand sprayer in the shower the best. Could you simply use a very long line so it reaches the toilet area from the shower?

UTIs are not always caused by that kind of bacteria. Some probably are but are some are only caused by prolonged dehydration. I should know because I only had one in my life that was caused by dehydration. Not all UTIs are caused by fecal matter. Some probably are, but some are definitely not. However, in your case you definitely need some form of a sprayer that helps your mom hygienically. Handheld sprayers and spraying toilet seats are very nice, but just remember, they all require waterline installation.

I'm so grateful for these posts! I read one that specifically gave the name and price for attachable bidets to your existing toilets. I looked on Amazon and found lots of them. And they're affordable. Luxe Bidet...Blue Bidet...bidet attachment.. Everything from hand bottles to full toilet attachable with warm water, self cleaning, you name it.
My mother isn't far enough into the dementia yet that she would let me anywhere near her in the bathroom, but I think she could use one of these AND get instruction while sitting on the toilet but not exposing her rear to me. And by the time she's less capable it will be familiar. Now if I could just stop standing outside the bathroom and insisting she wash her hands before heading off to the kitchen :-/ Reminders, signs, etc don't work. She gets angry at the enforced hand wash police but the poo under the fingernails I just can't cope with. I have hope for this new bidet thing and if anyone has ideas on hand washing that I haven't thought of,(lovely soaps, foamy soaps, comfy towels, reminders, signs, bacteria education, etc, etc) please share! Thanks

Properly, not properky. Argh.

1 2 3 4