My MIL (90) is going for a biopsy tomorrow for a large rectal growth, the doctor is pretty sure is cancer. Treatment yes or no?

My MIL had rectal bleeding took her to the doctor yesterday and after a rectal exam the doctor found a large mass that he said he was pretty sure was cancer. She has an appointment tomorrow for a biopsy. She is in pretty good health especially for 90. I am hoping if it is cancer the doctor will give my husband the right advice for treatment. My husband's mother unlike my mom has always been pretty healthy. She was just in the hospital about a month ago for the first time since my husband was born and he is 60 for a blood clot in her lung they put her on blood thinners and also a statin drug that is the only medication she takes. Her short term memory is not good at all, but she still piddles in the yard (she lives next door to us) and is very pleasant all the time. My husband thinks since she is still active that surgery should be an option I on the other hand think that quality time is important and have seen with my on mom that the healing process is hard on the elderly and I found with my mom that every surgery took more away.

Any experiences from you guys with surgery at 90 ? I know I am assuming the worst but the doctor seemed pretty positive by the size and feel of the mass and he did schedule the biopsy quick.

My mom is still in the NH cannot walk her mind is going at a rapid rate I would not wish that on anyone. My experience and perception is very different from my husbands, but I do know it is their decision or his I am not sure how much his mom retains when told.

25

Answers

1 2 3
You said that she is on a statin drug? Has anyone talked to her dr about discontinuing itif she has memory issues?
The odds in to doing her any good at her age are very small, and the correlation with memory deficits is large.
Worth a try.

Update: My MIL just finished her 4th week of treatment and has 3 more weeks to go. She so far has done well. She is starting to get tired and her appetite has diminished some. Will be glad when she is finished. They think the treatments will get rid of it completely or at least out patient surgery. So will keep you updated.

Update :
My husband is taking my MIL for consults with the radiologist an chemotherapist today and tomorrow. They want to do 5 weeks of chemo in pill form, then radiation. The only other option would be surgery and a colostomy bag which she flatly refuses to do. Without the treatment the tumor will grow larger cause blockage and pain. Praying that being the chemo is only for 5 weeks a pill in the morning and one in the evening and that it will not be too bad. Praying for peace for my husband who loves his mom very much and is a great son. He is very realistic about her health, but the doctors assured him this is the best treatment for her.

I do not totally disagree, but the final decision is my husband's since it is his mom. I have made the decision to not get involved with it because it just causes him more stress. He wants to do what is best in his mind for her. The doctor's all encourage him and it really makes me sad for them both because he just wants what is best for her and depends on the medical professional to tell him just what that is. I have found with "my" mom that I know her better than anyone, but I have been through so much with her it has made me really probably over cautious. Both of us being only children and decision makers is really difficult. I pray for the right information to get to him and help him make the right decision for them both.

Why prolong a life if you have to cut short the quality of an elderly person's life. I had to make that decision on behalf of my mother. My mother passed away peacefully with her dignity and quality of life still intact, the way she wanted.

They have decided on a low dose chemotherapy and radiation. I am glad it is not my decision and I pray for my husband to make the correct decision. Right now he wants her to have the treatment. Myself, having gone through all I have gone through with my mom I would go for the cancer outlasting her, but again it is not my mom and I am not her caregiver. His mother is in good health for her age the cancer has not spread pass the growth itself which is large. She does have dementia but I will say all is right in her world. My mom's health has been so bad for so long and she has never been happy so my outlook is not normal. Keep my husband and mil in your thoughts and prayers for the right decisions to be made.

Having twin daughters in nursing, one hospice and the other ICU trauma, the doctor will most likely tell you it is up to you to decide. Why? Because she/he has to. Most would love to tell you don't do it. But they have to try and save a patient.

Your mom is 90. My neighbor has an 87 year old mom with Alzheimer's and cancer. She was just fine a few months ago. But she isn't now. They were too face with the decision to treat the cancer but decided not to.

I would not want to have to make this decision. But I would not put my mom through the treatment and surgery to give her another year of life. Sometimes it is quality not quantity. God bless you.

Terrific news, lot's to be thankful for this holiday! Enjoy every moment with your elders.

What great news! So glad you let us know! Have lovely holidays with your family.

Good news, the cancer has not spread the only growth is in her rectum and they think they can get rid of it with a few radiation treatments or at least shrink it so removal would be outpatient...so great news for my MIL and us ;-)

1 2 3