My MIL has Alzheimer's and can't poop on her own. What can we do? - AgingCare.com

My MIL has Alzheimer's and can't poop on her own. What can we do?

She wears diapers and is helped to the toilet each morning, and now don't go poop on her own. Its like her body want to poop but she just sits there unresponsive. What can we do. Her son refuse to put her in a care home.

20

Answers

I was reading every one's messages and my mother is 90 years old and poor thing has extreme difficulty pooping. It gets so hard and big, that she crys cause
her anal can not open that big, we have to dig it out. I have started her on Miralax, the doctor gave her stool softern's, but she will not swallow them. We do the suppositories, on Wednesday and Sundays, however it is a big hard chunk all the time. My goal is to find some thing that will soften it enough, to where she does not suffer. We give her Papaya, and prunes and it just does not work. We started yesterday putting a Cup of Miralax in her Oatmeal and one in her tea, and in any liquid she takes, lets see if this works.

For our quadriplegic and paraplegic patients in the hospital we had a suppository regimine. That worked great. Give the supposiitory, wait about 30 minutes and a bowel movement was produced.

Be careful what you write on this website,it can wind up in other places..you can't remove your comment & trying to unsubscribe is next to impossible & I was told they print articles on FBook….This is the last place on earth experiences should be shared & found by others who have no business knowing.

My mother(80)has most of the list on the health concerns,stroke - Alz (no walking) leading the way,it's been several years of 24/7 caregiving.I thought pooping was involuntary,but she definitely needs encouragement & help at times ok most of the time now,like glove-finger - vaseline help.I've seen everything from hard as a rock & as big around as a soup can jamming up the toilet frequently to continuous wet poop wiping 100 times to get to a stopping point,sometimes approaching 2 hours in the bathroom.Finding the Miralax,clear sol.fiber,stimulant balance is a challenge & trips to the hospital / nursing home toss any progress sometimes months worth right out the window,she's on blood thinners & I'm concerned about impaction & bleeding..better to be overly soft & moving (& yes having to clean her up) than risking internal bleeding as well as loss of appetite & more lower body weakness.I'm helping her right now..taking some out seeing if it might encourage her to do some on her own.The original statement.."refuses to put her in a nursing home" I don't refuse to put her in ltc, it's more than probable than not that she'll wind up there,it's day to day but I'm keeping her in her home as long as humanly possible,the answer isn't always "just put her in a nursing home" you hear that all the time..like they're free & the safest place on earth.I'm well aware of my health priority & her safety.I've found that there is no sure fire consistent way to keep her going like the old days & over stimulating her system isn't the answer more medication & on top of someone who is already dehydrated from a mountain of pills everyday including Spironolactone & Torsemide doesn't work, actually can make constipation & dehydration worse.It's hands on & tweaking,keeping communication with her doctor,keeping it moving " it's just part of it". I talk to her doctors frequently addressing the pooping & they distance themselves from "what to do" like most things..answering but not really is how it's been for years, I kind have to research tips & solutions myself, which there isn't enough of or way too much info..There's some good stuff here & situations I'm painfully aware of..

Drink warm water upon rising with Lemon.

Take her to see a gastroenterologist asap. In the meantime, I would recommend Miralax. Watch the dosage, and give her water, water, water..
You don't want to deal with impaction.

Warm prune juice is what my doctor said to give my dad.

Sorry I mixed up Joy's question with the information Sprtsjylene gave.
To clarify further an obstruction is a medical emergency and the patient will have unbearable abdominal pain and fecal like vomiting. Left untreated they will die within 24-48 hours. the treatment is surgical. One sure sign of this is the complete absence of bowel sounds. This happens sometimes in patients with colon cancer and they can have surgery but the obstruction will return in weeks or months. These patients are usually very lucid and can understand what is going on and make their own decisions. If they elect for no treatment it is possible to keep them pain free and sedated as they wish until they pass.
An impaction needs to be dealt with urgently and may require the use of enemas and Miralax from above. I think Joy could try some of the techniques the other poster suggested but consult MIL's Dr if she has not passed a stool in five or more days. It may take a visit to the ER to get her cleaned out. I still stand by the use of Metamucil for routine bowel care amongst other methods suggested. What works for one may not work for another. She may be impacted but you would know if she had an obstruction.
Are you able to manage your MIL at home if her son is refusing N/H?
at the end of life all systems become weak and it may be that MIL can't push the poop out because she does not have the strength or has forgotten how.
now I'm done talking about this too!

Metamucil does not work for everyone and she needs to find a solution before the feces becomes impacted. Metamucil has a glycol chemical ingredient which will exacerbate the issue. I'm done talking about this because my husband has been dealing with this issue for the 30 yrs. we have been married which means I have been dealing with it.

But she may not be able to go because she has an obstruction, this should be ruled out too.