Mom with Dementia is wanting to find a companion. Any ideas? - AgingCare.com

Mom with Dementia is wanting to find a companion. Any ideas?

My Mom has dementia. I live with her and she does go out with my friends and I but has been expressing a desire to meet a gentleman.
She is in the beginning stages of dementia, has problems hearing, and gets dizzy from an inoperable brain tumor she has. But, she is a fun, loving, but lonely woman.
There are activities for her but they are during the day, and I dont feel comfortable with her limitations, her going places without me.

Does anyone have any ideas? My father passed away 9 years ago and it took her this long to want to meet someone, and I am totally clueless on what to do.

Help?

21

Answers

1 2 3
Yah .. PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly) is available in many states. Sure worth a call. Also, I know there are church-related groups that have social service outreaches with visiting companions.

The need and want for companionship is a very natural thing, particularly as we age, I would think. They have lost spouses and so many friends. I think finding her a good friend and companion may be extremely helpful to you as well. Why not?!

Thanks so much. :-)

My elderly mother with dementia is part of a gov't sponsored day program for elderly/handicapped where they come get her, take care of her all day, give her meds, meals, and entertain them. She is very sociable and enjoys being there. It does not cost me anything, even tho she has above the required limit for medicaid. See if your state has the PACE program or one like it. Its all-encompassing care for the elderly that takes place during day and they bring them home at night.
Doctors, nurses onsite.
Other adult daycares would know how to take care of your mom, and funding can be available. Bus even picks them up and helps them.

I was able to find a "companion" through a local agency who comes for the afternoon when I work. Both my parents (alzhemiers and frailty) love her and she is a a big help and friend to them. this has been a blessing for us all, as I am new this. It is worth it!

It's a longshot (even for younger seekers), but how about looking at a senior online companion site with her? Maybe, just maybe a nearby gentleman and his family are looking for female companionship. Good luck! ** And thanks to ldydi777 for this line: “Later on we found out they never turned their papers in to the state because they both had dementia and forgot.” No offense to your mom intended, ldydi777, but you wrote one hilarious punchline. I laugh every time I get a visual, and I need more laughs at this stage of my caregiving. The sweet part was their togetherness, dementia and all.

My mom married a high school boyfriend seven years ago, the last five years we have seen significant changes in her disease. Now, there are many, many times, in fact I'll say most of the time, she does not remember marrying him. He has been a godsend to this family and took care of her completely until two years ago.

Thank you all for your advise. While I am working, my sister is there to take care of her as well as my brother's caregiver.

It is very rough because Mom not only has dementia, but an inoperable brain tumor and she gets dizzy and falls very easily. So, most places will not want to be responsible, which I totally understand. Anything that she would go to, I would have to be there with her.

I am not looking for someone for her to "marry" just someone she can sit down and watch a movie with, or share the type of music she listens too.

We are looking for a caregiver at home for her, and also will be meeting with a representative from the department of aging. SO,hopefully, I will have more ideas. :-)

Back in 1980, my grandmother, at the ripe old age of 80, met a man in a residential care home and they married a few years later. Both had alz. They were delightful together. She outlived him. It happens.

Personally I would not want to get into finding Mom a mate. Her condition in my opinion is not such that seeking a mate or companion would be first on my list.

I suppose you could take her to a senior citizens center or a church who has senior programs, or an Alzheimer's group?

I am sorry that I could not come up with something better, but as I said I would not encourage it.

1 2 3