Mom is only drinking water? How much longer can she go on like this? - AgingCare.com

Mom is only drinking water? How much longer can she go on like this?

My mom was diagnosed with vascular dementia in october 2015, but as is the case we are sure she had it much longer before that. In the last 6 months she went from being fairly independent, to now fully incontinent, in bed 85% of the time (other 15% spent in a recliner). She has reached a point where she has NO appetite. She drinks water, and will occasionally have a bite or two of a banana. I can see her wasting away. She sleeps a lot but when she is awake is pretty alert. How much longer can she go on like this? It is heart breaking to watch. My dad died about 2 years ago and had not only COPD but cancer of the esophagus. He wasted away as well before he died since he struggled to eat from the cancer. It is heartbreaking to watch. Has anyone else had a loved one not eat, but still drink water?

21

Answers

1 2 3
So sorry Huddle, Mom is finally free from her prison.

So sorry for your loss. (((((Hugs)))))

sorry for your loss.

I guess I could say it is fortunate it was so quick...but, I am sure to you it was eternity.

Huddlo, I am sorry for your loss.

Huddlo,

So sorry to hear of your loss and your mom's pain

May the love of your family and friends ease your grief

Oh my goodness, you only posted this question a week ago. I'm so sorry for your loss. (Hugs)

My mom passed away today at 12:15pm. She is free from the dreadful hold of dementia. I will miss her terribly.

Gentle, caring hugs for you huddlo

God bless, huddlo

You are a treasure to your mom and you're in our thoughts and prayers

I'm sorry to hear this, Huddlo. Please look after yourself, too. Update us when you can, and come and unload here if it would help.

1 2 3