My dad is a korean war veteran, and has past away over 20 years ago. My mom had since remarried and divorced years later. Is my mom entitled? - AgingCare.com

My dad is a korean war veteran, and has past away over 20 years ago. My mom had since remarried and divorced years later. Is my mom entitled?

to VA benefits under my father for housing. She is currently living with my niece and pays 1100 rent, and collects SS$1450, and dips into her meager savings of $20K every money. to pay bills, insurance, car payment. The rate she is going she will be out of money by next year.

32

Answers

1 2 3 4
SeniorAdvisor, I am giving a low whistle of amazement: that sounds to me like Catch 22 subsection 3 paragraph ix..!

So what's the solution - borrow the money? Be in debt to the care provider? How on earth have people successfully squared this circle?

18. I am a widow/er; if I remarry, do I lose my benefits? If I later get divorced or my new spouse dies, do I get my VA benefits back?

Regarding Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), a remarried surviving spouse whose subsequent marriage is annulled or declared void can reestablish eligibility as a surviving spouse. However, effective September 30, 1998, the law was changed to allow a surviving spouse to reestablish DIC eligibility after termination of remarriage. Therefore, after September 30, 1998, eligibility for DIC is established in any case in which the remarriage of the surviving spouse is terminated by death, divorce, or annulment. Also, remarriage of a surviving spouse after the age of 57 does not preclude continued payment of DIC.
Regarding Death (Survivor’s) Pension benefits, the law generally requires a surviving spouse’s entitlement to be terminated if the surviving spouse remarries, regardless of age, even if that remarriage is terminated by death or divorce. However, VA regulations establish limited exceptions that generally allow entitlement to Death Pension to be reestablished if the marriage was:
• Annulled or declared void.
• Terminated by death or divorce on or after January 1, 1971, and before November 1, 1990.

Accordingly, you can again receive pension benefits based upon your former spouse’s wartime service if the new marriage was annulled or declared void or you fall within the divorce and death exception window, January 1, 1971, through October 31, 1990.
Please call 1-800-827-1000 to learn more.
http://www.va.gov/SURVIVORS/FAQs.asp#FAQ18

You can see from the responses given that many people are able to tell you that they don't THINK you qualify. This is not reliable advice. This is just people who DON'T KNOW trying to help. Get good reliable advice from a good reliable source. The VA A&A benefit is very difficult to understand and even more difficult to advise someone on. I don't even recommend calling the VA office. The VA's local offices do not even understand the complexity of this benefit. The application is 12 pages long and has many requirements. If you make a mistake on one item the application will be returned. Once the application is completed properly then it can be marked as received as complete and after approval benefits will be paid retroactively to the date of submission. One of the main requirements is that you are already receiving and paying for care. Another requirement is that you don't have the income or assets to pay for the care. This sounds like a Catch 22 but is absolutely required. You will get the maximum benefit if can accomplish this. That is why I always recommend a benefits specialist.

Ask at the VA, the sooner the better. Benefits will be retroactive to the day the actual form requesting benefits is submitted. HURRY!!!!

Just some info..remarriage disqualifies a widow from receiving VA benefits from a previous spouse...I asked. A shame really!

Hope this helps found it on the VA website.

When my dad died in 1967, my mother only received the death benefit payout. We were told by the VA in order for her to qualify to receive VA benefits, my dad would have had to have been KIA. He was not.

Why is she paying the niece so much. She should be paying according to how many people live in the house. If just her and neice, half. If niece and husband husband, 1/3 , etc. I agree, she could get a place of her own for that much. Medicaid? She has too much money for now probably. Check with ur local Office of Aging to see what is available.

$1100 is high rent??? where do YOU live???

I just went today to the VA and was told if divorced she is not entitled to VA benefits.

1 2 3 4