How do we go about looking for a person to live with our Mom (89)? - AgingCare.com

How do we go about looking for a person to live with our Mom (89)?

Mom does not want to leave her home. She is 89 and is dependent on my sister and I to provide company, shopping, Dr. visits, and overall entertainment. She lives in a cute 1200 sq. ft. house which would easily accommodate another person. We would love to find a 60-70 year old lady who would be interested in a free room in exchange for very basic services. Ideally, this person would need to have a car and be willing to pitch in with transportation for mom when we are not available. Mostly though we need a person to keep her company. So my question is how do we find such a person? I don't feel comfortable advertising for a companion. I would rather have a recommendation from a reliable source.

16

Answers

Sherry what's peo and is there a monthly fee? I sent you a message. Thx

Professional Employer Organization. They take care of all human resources type things, payroll, taxes, all payroll deductions, probably other things as well. Shopping health insurance?

Sherry, What is a PEO, can you give an example, and are they paid a percentage?

Using a PEO payroll employer helps. I use this for my office staff as well. It relieves me of the responsibilities of an employer. The PEO is actually the employer and I "rent" the staff members. They take care of taxes etc.

Check your state laws on live in domestic workers. Minimum wages apply as well as time off and vacation pay. Talk to an attorney about a contract, don't run into this blindly.

You might soon be responsible for entertaining both of them!

Try utilizing a small LICSA, they provide home health aide services at a more affordable rate.

I found one of those people - a woman who lost everything in a nasty divorce. She has been with us for 6 months now and it is wonderful. We pay her $250 per week and furnish her with a private suite (bedroom, living room and bath). She works elsewhere 24 hours a week. I do the cooking, she washes dishes. I keep the baby monitor with me nights so she is not responsible for anything at night. If you just want to have someone who is a "room mate" so to speak, I think that as long as the person was not responsible for your mother's care you could find the right person. I went through care.com and they have all sorts of individuals who post there. Some are looking for a situation like you have, but most want some kind of pay. I feel very fortunate to have the situation that I have. We did a background check that was offered through care.

If mom wishes to stay in her home, consider renting out a room to a middle-aged woman (perhaps a widow herself) and use the proceeds from rent (which is taxable income) to hire a caregiver for a few hours several times per week. You will be extremely lucky to find anyone wiling to give up 24/7/365 for NO money and ALL of the responsibility. Much better approach is to assemble a team of caregivers. Perhaps need 2 ladies who split the overnite duties. I just find it very difficult to imagine anyone "good" for a vulnerable adult, will work such extended hours, for no money. Go for the team approach--I do know several people who have done exactly this, and it works. Most are working privately not thru agencies, they do their owb background checks, hire an accountant for the taxes, and had their insurance updated to reflect the Team.

If you want your Mom to stay in her home, your best bet is to hire a paid companion and not offer free room and board. Most people want a salary so that they can add money to their own retirement funds, and have time off for their own life. For night-time hire a paid Aide for that shift, who can sleep over but still be there if your Mom needs help with something.