How does a person keep from getting upset when asked the same question?

Every 30 sec to 1 min apart or after you answear they do it anyway?

13

Answers

When my mother-in-law first started doing that as dementia began to set in, I had no patience for it. But then my father-in-law said it was kind of like the movie "50 First Dates", which instantly put it into perspective. Also, having just lost my own mother the year before (father 16 years before that), I was reminded that I was now feeling guilty for the many times (starting in my late teens) I had been impatient with her ways. Now I wanted her ways back so I could appreciate them instead. Bottom line, it really doesn't matter what the question is or how often it's asked - you still have your loved one there to ask questions......treasure the time, because it will come to an end.

I really struggle with this. I beat myself up when I get impatient which happens a lot. I feel horrible for being impatient. I do okay until the 3rd + time of saying the same thing. My mom lives in the same condo complex as me. This way she's independent but I'm just around the corner. I handle all her finances and drive her most places she goes. I'd love to find a local support group.

My husband watches The Andy Griffith Show for hours at a time. I record them for him, and he can watch an episode and immediately watch the same one over, and never realize he is watching the episode that just went off. At least, it's harmless and it keeps him entertained!

Just heard from my moms sitter that everyone but my mom is enjoying an episode of golden girls

Since I picked up a pie and whipped cream for the late night crowd tonight I hope I'm not tempted to point the whipped cream canister in her direction

I have noticed that keeping little mini candy bars (especially mounds) and even peanuts in the shell soothes anyone when they're having a bad day - cracking nuts must be good therapy - keeps their hands busy

Oh man! Mom and I watched a movie together, on t.v., and she was following quite well. Saw the entire thing. Okay.
Hubby's always looking for movies at Goodwill, Walmart, etc., bought the movie aforementioned and put it in the player to watch.
I knew immediately that we had watched it no more than 3days prior.
MOM
SAT
THRU
MOVIE
NEVER said, oh!, didn't we just saw this? Or something similar. NO IDEA SHE SAW THE WHOLE THING...........
That floored me.
Her dementia is progressing. No alz, but should I mention this to her psychiatrist?

Thanks!
M
8
8

WindyRidge: my hubby watches nothing but that show. Thursdays they are on ALL DAY!! I record them so that he has something to watch on other days. I think he watches them so much that he doesn't have to concentrate on the plot because he has seen all the reruns so often. He will watch one, then sleep through 3, then start all over again. Day after day after............etc.

PAgal, Blue Bloods?! OMG, my Dad loves that silly show. He can't follow the plot in the least but he'll sit glued to the tv for the whole show and watch the same one again the next day. It's the damnnest thing........

I would tell myself that I was in a contest and that the more I repeated something, the more points I got. Just a mind thing to keep sane. lol And if it helps, that stage may end. It did with my loved one. She no longer repeats things at all, but I think it's because she doesn't initiate conversation anymore. So, either way, it's sad.

Deep cleansing breaths. And lots of them. Breathe and exhale. Repeat. You do not need to answer every time a question is asked. Pause. Breathe. Point something else out like a beautiful tree that's in bloom. Turn on the radio and sing. Steer the person away from the fixation toward something else.

My husband has dementia, cancer, and is addicted to the tv show Blue Bloods! He is constantly asking what day it is so he can look in the TVGuide to see when it is on. I bought a dry-erase board and every day I write on it what the day is, when B.B. is on and the channel number. This helps somewhat......until he can't remember where we keep the board; then it is "where is the board?". You have to be able to laugh or you will cry (which I sometimes do).