Is it worth it? - AgingCare.com

Is it worth it?

Mom will be 90 in Aug. We are on a limited income. Her hearing is failing fast. She says she doesnt want a hearing aid but she'd say that no matter what, shes a selfless person. I would have to save at least 6mos of my ss check to buy an aid. She also gets ss but hers generally pays the utilities.It helps to have both checks. We could do w/out my check but it would be tough.
She can hear if you speak loud & I found an external speaker so she can hear tv better.
Realistically mom doesnt have that long left, she isnt sick just aged. Should I get her an aid or is it more practical not to?

18

Answers

Chris, maybe ask if Dad could swtich to "open fit" - that's what I use and I do not think I could tolerate completely-in-canal. They are probably just worn out in any event. Maybe try a different audiologist if this one won;t listen (no pun intended - just like docs, some do and some don't!) and just keeps beating the same dead horse instead of thinking outside the box a little.

Forgot to mention DEBROX has oil and a form of hydrogen peroxide to bubble up the earwax.

Veronica mentioned oil in the ears to remove excessive wax. In California at least, there is an over-the-counter product: DEBROX that can be used at home if you see excessive wax or dirt in there. This may allevate the need for an earwash. She is correct, not to use hot water. I have done this procedure in the doctor's office, using tepid/lukewarm water. I guess now I am hoping there is not too much activity going on in mom's ears to over-stimulate or irritate her ears. What, exactly, is her complaint about her ears?

My Dad is 90 and has worn hearing aids for 10 years or more. They used to help, but lately he has unending problems with his hearing. I swear they are only plugging up his ears - preventing what sounds could get through, from getting through! I am going to suggest that he just stop wearing them, they are more trouble than they are worth. I am constantly changing the batteries (have spent a fortune on batteries lately!) testing them, cleaning the wax guards, etc. We are constantly at the audiologist getting them tested and, like someone else stated, they work fine at the audiologists and hours later we are back to the same problems. I am tired of it and I am sure my dad is as well. I love the idea of a "pocketalker". I had never heard of them, but that may solve our problems. Anyway, I am used to people staring at us as I yell things to Dad in public. I am sure they are thinking to themselves "Shame on her, she should get her father a set of hearing aids". Isn't that funny?? So, yeah, don't stress out about not having the funds for hearing aids. You are actually so much better off without them :) All the best to you.

As mom's hearing started to be a frustration, I made sure I said her name first to be sure I had her attention before I started my sentence. I also realized that her cognitive abilities were part of the issue, so speaking slowing and taking time to better enunciate really helped. I set the TV for 'hearing impaired' and it writes what's being said on the bottom of the screen - that way I didn't have to turn the sound up to '36' :)

I'd like to share 2 items I found that work helping with tv vision & hearing. I was amazed that items sold on the internet would be worthwhile.
The 1st item is a wireless speaker for the tv. Very easy to setup & use. The wireless speaker can be put anywhere you need. The sound from the speaker is comparable to the sound from the tv speaker. We are VERY pleased with this. Its from LSS Products, you can find it online at lssproducts/product/Serene-TV-Soundbox-Wireless-TV-Speaker/television-listening-systems
Its sells for $149.99, well worth the price I think.

The other item is a set of eyeglasses that can be worn with or without her seeing glasses. They magnify the tv screen bringing it very close to her, they are adjustable to focus whats best for you. This is from Active Forever, they are called Task Vision & sell for $79.99, they can be seen at activeforever.com/task-vision-tv-glasses its fantastic how well these work for the price. I hope these will help someones mom.

We love dad and took him to the best audiologist and got him the most expensive hearing aid. He has never used it. Not even once. He wanted it. His nurse has offered to assist him. He does not want to fuss with it. Hopefully, someday I can give it to someone who needs it and will really use it.

I almost forgot the most helpful "tool" for us was a wipe board and dry erase markers. When she had problems hearing/understanding we would write it down. We made certain it went to the hospital e.r. room with us. She became part of the discussion about her and did not feel as shut out. We could write down "they are going to take you for a chest x-ray" and so on.

At 90 hearing aids for some can become more of a frustration than a help - getting them on, changing batteries, adjusting volume, etc. My mom had them and did ok. Some states have a program for low income individuals that provides free telephones for the hard of hearing. We had one for my mom and it was helpful. As an added bonus it had large buttons that were easy to see and press. TV Ears were good also. She could have the volume up as loud as she wanted without being too much for the rest of the family. When you go out to eat have her back to a wall and she won't have as much noise to contend with. Lip reading is important.

For my 92yo mom with moderate hearing loss...The portable amplifiers like the pockettalker work well for one on one conversations.... Like Dr visits or if she had a couple ppl visiting and were just sitting around the kitchen table. It really helped her stay with the conversation thats going on around her better. You still have to speak up but not necessary to yell as much. If there is a lot of ppl or the tv going... The person talking to her can also speak right into the amplifier to her. Much more economical than hearing aides.... And practical. Runs by batteries... We use rechargeable batteries.