Indoor activities for seniors. Any ideas?

My mom passed away in April 2015. In June, my father moved from TN to our home in Maine. He'll be 90 in a couple of weeks. Other than his hearing (2 hearing aids from VA) and having slowed down quite a bit since Mom's passing - he was her caretaker - they had been married for 64+ years - he's in really, REALLY good shape. No meds, no major health problems, no ambulatory problems. He decided to give up driving since coming here (which I'm okay with). My husband and I work weekdays. We've had a beautiful summer here & per HIS request, Pop has done some outdoor work and even mowed part of our lawn a few times (we bought a self-propelled mower & the front lawn is totally flat). He caught on how to use the cable TV system, I bought him a number of books on WWII, subscribed to National Geographic Mag, he putters in the house (laundry and breakfast dishes)...we even just found a wonderful companion dog: 2 year old Honey- a Cockapoo who is absolutely wonderful & loves Pop. We go out as often as possible with Pop - and Pop & I have a weekly errand run together on Saturdays (the farmer's market, grocery store, etc.) which he seems to enjoy - especially the routine of it. My sister & I plan to take him on a week-long trip to Florida in November (but that's another story)...BUT my reason for writing is this: I'm really worried about how he's gonna fare this winter when it's too cold to go out for him and he starts feeling cabin fever. What suggestions do folks have to help keep "Pop or Mom": from having long, boring days? He doesn't play cards, our Senior Center just closed down and he won't go near a computer. Any ideas? I know that part of his "boredom" has got to be the enormous grief he must be feeling due to the loss of Mama & moving to Maine - and I can't take that away. But would like some good ideas for setting him up for a few more interesting hours during the day. Thank you.

17

Answers

Is there a place in town for him during the day to volunteer? Maybe the local museum, library, pet shelter or YMCA? He sounds like he's always been someone who gave himself to a good cause and it means a lot to him to stay engaged with people.

Passport for Wellness. This program is at my mothers facility and they just love it.....I copied their wording from a flyer I have from them.
Introducing an online streaming experience that has changed the way transitional care providers and assisted living centers approach wellness programs. Designed specifically for seniors, this innovative approach takes patients around the world-providing physical adventure and challenging brain function-just by hitting play.

Thank you for your kindness GA! I cannot tell you how wonderful it is that I stumbled onto this website...I don't feel so isolated. Although I'm in the right age group (55) only a couple of my friends have elderly parents they are close to,,,but very different circumstances as neither of them have a parent in their home - I do count myself very lucky that Pop is still in pretty good shape.

But I'm sure you know how it is...I worry,,,,a LOT.

I will admit that I'm sitting in the living room right now sweating due to the woodstove. We used to tease my grandma and my mom about being cold when it was 90 degrees outside....I guess it's not just elderly ladies!

Great idea! I'll see if Pop is interested in baking with me - so far he's been great with the supervision part (tells me to add oregano to everything...lol).

I take it you're a military daughter, too?

You're also a military daughter and certainly show the forward thinking and preparedness of one!

Mid-30's already? Brrrrr. I'll bet your Pops is already shivering.

Something else you can do is let him help you with the baking, which is already on my mind as I think of the cold temperatures. He can especially help with bread, if you make it homemade. The exercise he gets probably would enable him to do a great job at punching down homemade bread. And to me there's nothing like the fragrance of bread rising and baking on a cold day.

BTW, welcome to the Forum.

Thanks again to all - I'm making notes! Pop was in the UDT in WWII and a paratrooper in the Korean Conflict. After he left the service, he was a career letter carrier. Yup - I'm the mailman's daughter!

So Pop is a pretty tough old fella - still lifts weights and exercises 5 days per week. He carefully watches what he eats - oatmeal with blueberries every morning, very little meat ever and always green tea. Never over eats. He's in beautiful condition, except for the hearing.

Here in Maine it gets pretty darned cold. Right now we're having low to mid-30s at night & 50-60s in the daytime - and this is October. Single digit temps are normal once the "winter" starts. Last year, we had a foot of snow fall on Nov 1. Pop's not used to this weather, so the woodstove in our livingroom is already in use. I'm thinking outdoor activities won't be on the agenda for Pop. I will take him to the local Mall at least once per week so we can do the "mall walk."

We live in a semi-rural area in a small town outside of Bangor. Our neighbors are fairly friendly, but aren't close enough by to borrow a cup of sugar or band together for anything.

BUT....I'm taking all suggestions to heart and am armed & ready start putting things together so Pop will never feel at a loss for something interesting to do.

Don't stay indoors too long.

It is really a challenge to get outside often enough. I was going to say (using a well-used cliche), light a fire under him. However, so many take comments literally these days.
What I wanted to suggest is having regular 'must participate' fire drills. Even small successes count. Most facilities have these by law, maybe we should try it.
Then, you could start a neighborhood watch walking group, dressing him warmly?
How cold is really cold? In So. California, we can go out in the cold, flock to ski resorts on purpose etc.

I'll be the first to nominate Windy as the official fun-maker for this site. I think we could really benefit from his humor.

Windy, every family has a fun-maker, it appears with your sense of humor that you're it!

Pfontes, Can I come live with you guys? It sounds like fun! You've got one lucky Pop to be cared for so well.