How do I get my mum to go for walk?

Mums diabetic and vascular dementia doc said diet and exercise is VITAL her progression. How do I get her out for fresh air so frustrating this may end her life sooner if she wont go out and start pumping her heart.

20

Answers

Kazaa, just google 'chair gym' and you'll see pictures of what Ferris is referring to. Basically it's a chair that allows you to do different exercises while sitting with attached resistance bands.

Ferris we have different names for things here what is a chairgym? Sounds interesting?
Mum is on a list for physio could take a year here the state the country is in! We did walk today but after 20mins she just wants to sit down and ive never seen anyone walk so slow its scary. Its not really proper walking getting your heart going but its the best she can manage for now I think she is getting slower by the week.

Gosh joannes thats alot of stress on you dont know what to say seems so unfair to have to go through all this.
I want to start my own business the money is coming soon and just when I thought life was going to get better my mum gets this.
But ill just have to put it off for awhile now it could have been worse to have started the business then my mum get sick. You must be a very tough cookie as we say here! Just because youre a nurse dosnt make it easier you really have been dealt a heavy hand and I hope you can sort this out and get more help you deserve it. Funny all my life first impressions of me especially men "are you a nurse?" ME you gotta be kidding I have a panic attack just at the hospital gates still faint at blood tests yes im pretty useless in that respect but when my mum had a siezure last year in front of me i responded very well and saved her life!!

She can walk inside. Outside is not exactly healthy either! Get her a ChairGym and she will get plenty of exercise and she can do it anywhere because it moves around. I got one to help with increasing my muscle mass before our recent move to a new home. My arms are in great shape! Believe me, her heart will pump, until it doesn't, so GET CREATIVE!

(((((((kazzaa))))) - it is sad seeing them change and not for the better. Mother's old doctor, who has since retired, told her not to walk any more. I don't know why as her heart and lungs and muscles are good. She has walked all her life and used walking to burn off steam. I would rather see her walking again and dropping dead while walking than sitting around. I think she would be much happier. She also would be much happier if she had a different attitude and appreciated all she has, but that has been her downfall all her life, and I can`t fix it. and I am not going to let it get me down. Not that I don't love my mother, I do, but I will NOT let her illness make me ill`. I have learned that lesson the hard way the past few years, You are young and my belief and observation is that how you look after yourself in your 40s and 50s to a great extent determines how healthy you are in your senior years, Type 2 diabetes can be avoided by a healthy lifestyle -diet and exercise. Alz is being linked more and more to type 2 diabetes. I am not saying the picture is clear or simple, I believe that genetics is involved too in some cases, but you do what you can do, and that is maintain your health - physical and mental, as best you can. I didn't realise your mum was only my age. That is sad. Face yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that you are worth the effort! and you have many here cheering you on. more (((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))
joannes - I don't know how you are surviving such a load. Can you get more help - like a geriatric care manager, and spend time building your business back up. ((((((((hug))))))) and you take care of you too.

I sure agree totally about how difficult it is having a parent with dementia!! My Dad was a real pistol until he went a lot farther over the edge with it. He knew years ago his diagnosis and he really did work at caring for himself properly...except for nutrition. But when he started to slip badly....he strove for more and more control and much of the time did not see that he had any problems. He and Mom went and did the POA paperwork and resigned as trustees over their trust, and put me in charge. And then, when he realized he had done it, he argued and argued with me about it and went back to the attorney to UNDO it He forced the hand about declaring him incompetent and then was mad when the lawyer called him in and presented him with the facts that his two docs had agreed he was not able to handle his own affairs. So then he argued with me regularly and fought with Mom and started drinking excessively and went and bought a hand gun to do himself in. Then he couldn't remember where he put the gun, so 'WE stole it from him!' At the peak of all the issues, I, who live out of town, was getting 15-20 calls/day from either him or my Mom....and all totally interrupting my attempts at taking on all the financial aspects for them! He did calm down for 5 months after being placed, when the third placement place, this past July got him on the right meds. Now he is more settled, but all the same stuff is starting with my MOM, who is still at home. She is still mild dementia but she is a total controller and not nearly as lovable in her good times, as my Daddy is! It is a very hard walk, and I do not know how people do it alone. I've been in danger of going nuts and I have the attorney, case manager, and two daughters who've flown in from out of town a couple times each since January....a husband at home too and a business to run along with the care aspects. My business has fallen off by 50% because I am constantly pulled here there and everywhere. And, the last straw is dealing with the possibility that my husband has early Parkinson's Disease. I am beginning to see WHY God inspired me to become an RN!

yes youre right blannie I am going to start to look after myself this is how we get ill later im 48 and still think oh ill look after myself soon and then soon becomes too late? Im even afraid to look in the mirror and havnt for a longtime as this stress is going to age me if I don't start to get healthy.

Look at emjo shes amazing for her age an inspiration for us all! My poor mum shes only 76yrs old and still only looks about 60 she always had great skin people do not believe shes her age even when she first got her bus pass the driver refused her and rang to confirm she was who she said she was!

Thanks emjo its just so sad to watch her spend her days watching crap tv all day she was never like that before. I just hope that she agrees to go to the day centre and pray to god she enjoys it. It breaks your heart to see them like this but like you say she may not change I think if someone told me I had this id do what the hell I wanted too? eat more icecream?
Part of me wants her to do what she wants and die before this gets worse then the other is no I want you here as long as we can have you here. So difficult I will learn a lot by this site I suppose if I don't nag her I feel like im not caring enough but I care so much its making me ill and I know I need to back off a bit. On a lighter note im off in the morning to the BIGGEST WOOL shop in Ireland a 2 and a half bus journey UGH but mum was happy that I suggested it! just trying so hard with very little money to do things with her while I still can.

Yes, like Emjo says, allow yourself to grieve. Once you realize you can't control the universe and make your mom younger or healthy and you can't control your mom's behavior, there's both a great weight off your shoulders and a great sadness that she won't do what she *should* do for her best health.

But to look at it a different way, I bet you know there are things you should do for yourself (like take time for relax, get the right amount of exercise, and eat healthy) and I'll just bet that you don't do those either. So it's hard for ALL of us to do what we *should*. But those things are the only things you can control in this situation. What you do for yourself. So let your mom do what she wants to do and live the rest of her life as it pleases her. It may knock a few months off her life, but you'll both be much happier in her remaining time.

((((((kazzaa)))) grieving can take many forms -anger, anxiety, depression... all of those and more. Allow yourself some space to grieve. Neither you, nor your mother nor her doctor can stave off the inevitable, That does not mean the recommended measures are useless and may not buy someone increased quality of life and time. Of course not. Individuals are just that, and for many, maintaining control of what they can is very important. You say she has always been resistance to suggestion. It is unlikely she will change now. Acceptance of the realities will lower your stress and probably hers. A family meeting is a great idea. You need to lay out how things are so your sibs are fully informed and let your mum hear how everyone feels and let everyone hear how mum feels. Your sibs do need to understand that you cannot keep nagging her. It is soul destroying for you, and not good for your mum. ((((((hugs))))) Let us know how it turns out.