Father in Law with dementia is giving visa number on the phone to charities and is losing lot of money he needs!

I had a client whose children put a filter on her landline. It blocked all calls other than those recognized as acceptable callers and it worked really good. I don’t know the name of the filter but if you google something like, “blocking landline spam calls” you’ll find it.
Reply to IamAmy

He should not have access to a valid credit card or one with more than a set amount on it. If you have to get him a pre loaded card.
You do not indicate where he is living or with whom. If he is by himself, he should not be living alone. if he is living with someone they could monitor calls and stop him from giving info out.
.
Reply to Grandma1954

Get a cell phone and transfer his telephone number to the cell phone service. Update his contact address book on the cellphone to those phone numbers that are ok. Most cellphones now have a feature where you can set it to ring only on approved contacts. All other calls will be transferred “silently” to voice mail. Maybe this might be available on your landline too.
Reply to Ricky6

Unplug the phone. Change the number. My best ideas. If he cannot dial numbers correctly any more unplugging it will work! God bless
Reply to Patti2021

I wish there was an easy way to end telephone solicitations. Even if we block numbers, these people will generate new numbers in a heartbeat! If we have our names on the DO NOT CALL list, it doesn’t matter. If we don’t answer our phones, they send junk texts messages. There’s no end. It’s like a contagious, incurable disease!
Reply to NeedHelpWithMom
GardenArtist 15 hours ago
One of the limitations of the Do Not Call list is that so many of the numbers shown on caller ID are fake.  I had faithfully been reporting the numbers until one day I decided to block my own number and call back, just to see who really was calling   I think probably 75% or more of the numbers are fake and nonexistent.

I don't know what the solution is.
(1)
Something just occurred to me.    Do you have any old VISA cards with FIL's name?   If so, could you figure out a way to convince him that old defunct card is his new card, and let him give an erroneous card number to solicitors?   You might want to contact the card issuer though to confirm that the number hasn't been reassigned.
NeedHelpWithMom Jul 21, 2021
Interesting. Unless he is smart enough to contact his bank and asks them to send a new card out because his isn’t working properly.

It is sort of like the person who disable their parent’s car, and the parent calls AAA to repair it!
(1)
*77 blocks calls with restricted or no caller id

*60 blocks calls when you follow prompts

*61 blocks last call

Or, for about $100 you can buy a call blocker to hook to your landline. I have a cheap panasonic
Reply to Stacy122

How sad. These are robo calls. They will never stop!

I have a friend who separated her mom’s funds. She set up a very small checking account for her mom. That is the only debit card she has allowed her mom to have.

Her mom is like your father in law. She has a huge heart and would give every penny away! This way, her donations are limited to small portions at the time.
Reply to NeedHelpWithMom

Charities aren't included on the No Call List. Either are surveys and places u have done business with.

Suzanne, this is a frequent problem and subject for discussion here.  Others face similar unsettling and annoying situations, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses and suggestions.

Does FIL live alone?   Are there any family members who do live with him, or close by?   Anyone helping him with his finances?

I've found the best way is to call the charities directly and tell them that they're not welcome, and may not call or send snail mail again.   Call the headquarters, not any local office.   The decent charities will stop calling; that's been my experience.  But it doesn' t mean that there aren't others lurking around.    That's just as concerning.

I never raised the issue of authority to call on behalf of my father; it's none of the charity's business who is proxy pursuant to a POA or DPOA.   I just used my tough voice and attitude and haven't had to call twice.  

It wasn't unusual though for someone to advise that it takes 2 - 3 (+/-) months to remove the name and address from their mailing list.   That's BS in my opinion.   So I'd tell them that every time we get a solicitation despite advising we don't want them, I'd report them, either to the Better Business Bureau, one of the charity ranking agencies, just on social media. (which may be the most effective anyway.)    And I'd ask if they'd like to be identified as manipulating older people. 

The other aspect is controlling your FIL so he doesn't give to any others who may solicit him.   We discussed the situation when it occurred, and I pointed out that the execs of some of these charities and other solicitors made several thousand dollars, while we were scrimping and saving our money.  That did it.

From then on when a new solicitation arrived, I was asked to find out how much the execs made, which was always much more than SS either one of us got.   The solicitation was discarded or shredded.

The issue could be whether your FIL is able to understand how manipulative these outfits can be.   Do you have lists of those to whom he gave?   With whom, if anyone, does he share a checking account?

Get his landline phone on a VOIP (voice over IP) system like Ooma. He can keep the same phone number, but there are some good call filtering controls not available on most landlines. He does need wifi internet for VOIP.

If it is a cell/mobile smartphone, there are apps that can block most spammers, too.

Maybe give him a cancelled or fake credit card to use.
Reply to Goddatter

Who has POA?

It sounds like FIL is not capable of managing any money and should not have access to the CC. Time to chop it up or get him a prepaid one with a limit of $500 or less and let him use it.

Is his number on the Do Not Call registry?

If they are legit charities, call them and let them know he no longer has capacity to enter into a contract and any charges will be disputed.

It is shameful how some charities prey on seniors.
Reply to Tothill