How much should I be paid per week for a room and board provided live in situation?

The care is for a woman who is unable to walk.

16

Answers

I pay my grand-daughter-in law $15 per hour for helping with my mother & cleaning her bath, changing bed linen and washing it for mother and mani-pedi. She is a CNA and makes that at her regular job. She only works about 8 hours per week though. I have an ex-sister-in law who is willing to stay Friday night to Sunday night for $250 and do some house work as well. That seems like a bargain to me. She would not be living in, rather coming just for weekends.

Terry-
Is living in your dad's home worth $6,000.00-$12,000.00 a month? At $10.00 a hour one day is nearly $250.00 a day, at $8.00 an hour, nearly $200.00 a day. If he rented out the room what would he get for it? In my area for a room maybe $400.00 a month. Huge difference there. And board? I purchase all the food, so no deduction there. And I also have my own home which I pay mortgage on.

Is the person you are caring for a relative? Is there no one else to care for her?
You have to count room and board as something which would make a wage lower than if you lived at home and came in for service. I live with my father and I don't charge anything for caring for him. If you were living at home, in a rural community the hourly rate (average) would be $10.00, however you have to take into count the clients income, how much you are doing daily and room/board. You can also get help with in home services if you need a break. Call the Area Agency on Aging or Bureau of Senior Services. You didn't give a lot of info so it's a bit difficult to be more specific.

By paying a relative to care for a parent, you are SAVING THAT PARENTS ESTATE tons of money. Negotiate from there. Get an estimate of local NH or Assisted living situations and compare to what they could save by paying you.

A&A, Hadenough, Radiator, me and there are many others out there that don't get paid. And parent has resources. Siblings are more concerned about inheritance left for them. That is what is occurring in my case in spite of siblings knowing parent would want to pay me. This is long, hard work. Siblings have always said that parent would want to pay me, but since it is interfering with their inheritance, thus their plans for retirement, it has become a matter for the courts. Sibs have even told others that they know Mom would want to pay me. They know Mom has always wanted to remain in her home, terrified of nursing home which is what it would be if I was not here. So, now siblings spend Mom's money to retain attorneys to argue what they know Mom would want. Make sense yet? Of course not!

I always ask those like Charles if he has provided 24/7 care for a parent. It is hard never ending work. Charles did you give up career, benefits, your own family to care for a parent. Until you and others like you walk a mile in our shoes you should not be judgmental!

My mom was in independent living before she came to live with me. Her expenses ran around $1,500 to $2,000 a month. Once she moved in with me, I completely took over her care so the money she was paying to the facility for room and board comes to me. It helps offset the electric bills (she wants her room very warm so I have a little heater in there), special food, meds, clothes, etc. which are actual expenses and gives me a little to compensate me for taking care of her. She's okay with it and I am too. If she had nothing, I would still do it for nothing, but some day, she will need to go into a nursing home on Medicaid so her assets will be taken by Medicaid before Medicaid kicks in. They have a five year look back so you can't give her money away to get her qualified for Medicaid. So, you can either get reimbursed for some of her expenses now, or let Medicaid take it when she needs to go to a nursing home, which will, unfortunately, happen at some point.

I gave up work, benefits (health insurance cost ME $800/month now, vacation and sick days) added increased water, sewer, electricity, and food bills. I am compensated for those losses from my Dad's money at $2000 a month. He lives with me. Before mom died, she also lived here. I think I break even-ish, and am glad my Dad has the funds to do this. Respite in assisted living was $6000/month, and a 5 day, three night respite with in home care $2000 +

Is it a mom or dad? I would not charge anything for a parent.

I am with radiator and assandache, I work 24/7, no real days off unless one of my sibs comes over for their once a month visit and NO pay. I wish that I would get enough balls to bill my sibs for my Mothers care. As it is I am using my social security to pay for a lot of her living expenses even though she has more than enough money in the bank (much more than I will ever have) because she is always crying "poor." That depression mentality stuff which I get really sick of since there are truly "poor" people in the world and my family is very lucky. Minimum should be $800 a week with 2 days off.

assandache, you and me both! I have no job, this is my job..but no pay! Lovely siblings who have a life, but not me!