How to find out how much my Mom's SSI actually is even though another sibling has POA?

I don't know, but my other siblings think there should be more money left over. The P.O.A. sibling just hand writes what he spends. And claims there's no money left over to put her things in storage for 2-3 months. If she makes a the decision to go into a nursing home. It's not an argument over money but more about what to do with her stuff. P.O.A. wants to store it and claims there's no money for storage and movers, we think all but family stuff ( memorabilia) should be donated or tossed. The sibling is using " No Money as an excuse NOT to take her to a nursing home.

32

Answers

1 2 3 4
Sounds like spending $500 to keep an eye on 4 cents.

It appears that while Jeff asked his question on New Year's Eve that he has abandoned the thread since New Year's Day when he wrote "let's move on, end of discussion." I guess that he is going to take the POA to court in order to find out how much his mother's SS actually check is.

Soc. Sec. does NOT recognize power of attorney. In order to receive information from an individual's record, it must be the individual himself, his legal guardian, or his representative payee making the inquiry. If mom is receiving SSI it is because she either had no or low earnings during her working years. This would only give her an aged the benefit of approximately $733 a month (depending on the State in which she resides). Her benefit amount maybe less if she has any overpayments resulting from things like living arrangement changes or someone giving her money or contributing money to her household and living expenses.

I actually think I understand what's going on here.

The sibling that is POA is also on the lease, and so if/when your mom goes into a nursing home, that sibling is going to be responsible for carrying out the terms of the lease. If your mom's belongings aren't out by a certain date, the sibling will be responsible for one month's rent. If he gets all of your mom's stuff out of the apartment, what is he going to do with it?

Am I right?

Why don't you just ask your sibling that is POA how much your mother gets in SS every month? Why would that be a horrible thing? You don't have to ask in an accusatory manner. $45 certainly isn't enough to pay rent nor for a storage unit. Or, instead of bringing up the money issue, why don't you & your siblings try to figure out a solution to the problem? For example---have everybody get together one weekend, get a dumpster & clean the apartment out. Keep the stuff your mother needs, get rid of the stuff she doesn't need. Speak to the landlord & explain the situation, see what can be done. Don't make it about the money, make it about what your mother needs & how you're ALL going to get that accomplished.

I have shared everything with my siblings which means they all know how much SS my dad has along with other monies. POA or not... it should be shared to avoid any questions as to how money is spent. On storage... we just have been discussing that. My father just went to assisted living and will soon be on hospice. We are going to divide his things and sell what no one wants. This is really tough, but unless someone in the family wants to put what they take in storage at their own expense, we have decided to pay for storage is really not financially possible. It is so hard to let go of material things when there is a memory attached to them..memories you will always have though. I have learned over doing this a couple of times, that the less you take, just very special items, makes memories stronger. I feel for you.

Having to deal with Social Security recently and up on HIPPA laws, good luck finding out what the amount of your mother's SSI is. Does she have dementia? You don't say, just that your sister has POA. By the way, Social Security DOES NOT accept POAs in order to deposit money into their account, and if your sister does not become a "Representative Payee" then she is taking that money without the permission of social security. If the money is a disability, each state has a certain set amount allocated for all diabilities, so just ask social security what her states pays. All you siblings could donate funds to keep her things in storage until a decision can be made about her living arrangements. If one is just receiving SSI, then they probably cannot afford to go into a nursing home which typically costs around $4000 - $6000/mth. Check into filing with Medicaid.

You can always contact adult protective services in your area, they would be able to speak with your mom and if she's capable she can give them permission to look at 'the books'.
Generally it's a good thing to keep receipts and if need be a notebook with everything written in it. Adequate records are important.
It may be that mom's expenses take her entire ss check. Without authorization you cannot obtain that information.
I hope things work out. You may want to contact your local area agency on aging or bureau of senior services and ask about in home programs to keep mom at home longer. some programs even help to pay for assisted living.

no one said they thought there was a ton of money.

OK as I said let's move on. end the discussion.

Jeff, where is your poor mother in all this? Would it make sense to do the following? Start with the assumption that your POA sibling is honest and there is no money. Work as a family to get your mother into a nursing home based on that assumption. Help the POA sibling to get it all done --- it's too much to expect one person to do it all, particularly if you want it done fast. During the process you will undoubtedly learn what you want to know and can act accordingly in the future.

1 2 3 4