How do I remove my mother?

Since my grandparents passed, my mother has lived with me. My mother is fully disabled with MS. However (and I am not the only family member who thinks this) there is likely some Munchhausen syndrome going on. Pile this on top of her narcissism, and I am heavily lost in the F.O.G.... I am engaged to marry next spring, and our first child is due in November. My mother has weighed heavily on mine and Fiances relationship. There is constant stress that I am not willing to deal with anymore. I have spoken with my mother as well as her lawyer (her financial conservator) and expressed that the time has come for her to find her own way. I cannot deal with the tension anymore and I want to start my family without the negativity. She is and always has been a VERY toxic and manipulative person. She refuses to do ANYTHING to help herself. She doesnt pay me rent. She constantly asks me to do things for her that she is capable of doing herself. She hoards in her bedroom which is gross and Ive spoken with her about multiple times. Doesn't bathe. She smokes like a chimney. ect ect....
So back to the point... I have spoken with her and the lawyer... We have discussed low income housing, purchase of mobile homes, etc etc. I have done a bunch of leg work myself to find homes for sale, view said homes, find apartment applications and so on. Now an important fact is that my mother received a large windfall from my grandparents. Roughly 180k which is now in a trust and managed by the lawyer. Right now it seems the lawyer is deadin the water regarding getting my mother somewhere on her own. I dont want to put my mom out on the streets. (fog?) BUT I fear my due date will roll around and my mother will still be in my home. This is NOT an option. Im at my wits end and am not sure what my next course of action should be? Formal eviction? Agency of aging evaluation?
HELP!!!!!

24

Answers

1 2 3
If you are able to go with your Mom to the appt., that should go well. Stress the urgency of the situation, that she will be without housing on this date.

If she goes to the appointment, doubt that there will be a need for an eviction.

For a neighbor who was wanted out of a place renting a room, I went with her, when mgr. showed her the apt., she asked how soon would she want to move in?
Hemming, hawing, will have to ask her son, don't know.

Many hand signals (me behind her) had her moving in on
the first. Saved her dignity, she had no idea what was in store if she did not agree to move. Bold moves, baby steps.

UPDATE: My mother has an appointment Monday with Middletown Housing Authority. Im hoping that goes well. I am still waiting to hear back from the lawyer which I have reached out to repeatedly, If I do not hear back this week I will look into another lawyer... My question for all you is this... IF it does come down to an eviction... how much notice is fair? I know there are legal minimums, but would you extend it to provide her more time to find other arrangements??? Im always fighting internal battles :-(

How is the Trust set up? My nephew has a Special Needs trust that cannot be used for food or housing. That is what his Social Security is for. If you haven't, find out the limits of the Trust. How old is your Mom. If under 65, to have Medicare she should have Social Security disability. If 65 or older, she should have Social Security. Again, tell the lawyer that your Mom needs to find a place of her own. Ask if that happens does her Trust allow for an aide. Or, maybe, she can be placed in an AL where when her money runs out she can then started on Medicaid. Is there anything where ur grandparents felt by leaving u the house they expected u to take care of Mom. Do u and ur BF plan on staying in the house after marriage? If so, then Mom needs to be told again that she needs to move into place of her own because you need a place of your own. You shouldn't have to sell ur house but it may be the way u have to go. Then get an apartment and tell Mom there will not be room for her and u will help her look and give her a deadline and stick to ur guns. People like ur Mom will prey on any weakness.

Katiekates post is a good example of what is at the core of a good percentage of the problems we read about here at AC.

It's seems most people- well maybe not most but it looks that way to me - are first and foremost concerned about what's best for them. That's not necessarily a bad thing - except when it comes at great expense to someone else.

So many agendas seem to center on "what makes me most comfortable", "how can I continue to live as I please", "what's the best/easiest way to save me/get me more money?"

Left as collateral damage is the family member- the caregiver who is trying to do what's best - the right thing for the person,  who a lot of the time, is at the root of causing the problem - throwing the very person whom is their best chance for survival - under the bus.

Honestly, I just don't get it. And I think that's probably a good thing.

My own parents were in a tangle exactly like this. Grandma was a huge burden, and no one else would help. My uncle (her son) had POA, but his sole interest was to make sure all the money was saved for his inheritance.

Finally, my folks called a family meeting and announced they were move out at the end of the month. Family (uncle in particular) had better figure it out fast. Then, they promptly took a 2 week vacation to Vegas. They had been grandmas full time, live-in, free caregivers for over 15 years when they pulled the plug.

It worked. Suddenly POA had to step and and move grandma to a facility asap.

Her name is Tinkster. Her most recent thread is " things cannot continue this way".

Yup, we are your serious cheering section.

There is a thread on this board about a woman in a similar situation. I need to look for the thread. You might learn from what she did.

I agree with JeanneGibbs! We are cheering for you!

Keep us informed! We are cheering for you!

My mothers lawyer just called me back. It was a positive conversation. She said that a housing authority in a near by town got back to her asking for paperwork and to schedule an interview. Since we cannot trust ,y mother to do things, I have to do some running around to get a copy of her birth cert, and divorce papers. The Lawyer said she had waiting on doing anything with the mobile homes as an apartment would be better for her in the long run. I understand this since its the lawyers job to make her money last. I reiterated that I really would like her to be out sooner rather than later do to my pregnancy and what not. She stated she would go ahead and call on the mobile homes to get the ball rolling there too.... so... running around I will do and we will reconvene lol

1 2 3