How do you handle someone who thinks you do not know what you are doing?

My Mother has decided that her washer is not working right. I helped her do loads of laundry to prove it is working ok, yet she says she thinks it washes just ok, but not great and thinks she needs to call in a professional who knows what they are doing. I have tried to convince her that the washer is fine but she is convinced otherwise. It is like when she had a medical issue, only a doctor knows the cure and insists on going to the doctor for things like paper cuts etc. this just recently started and she never acted this way before. Is this normal for the elderly ( she is 83) how can you convince her that everything is ok without having to call"the man" ?

20

Answers

If I was faced with a situation like this, all I could say is do your best, forget the rest. I had an elderly friend of mine who thought his air-conditioner was a piece of junk, but the real problem was him cranking the heat so the heat and air conditioner were both running at the same time. When I noticed what was going on, I waited until he wasn't looking and turned off the heat since we really didn't need it in the middle of the summer. Other people were also complaining about him and he finally ended up in a nursing home. All we could do when someone criticizes us is just do our best, and if they don't appreciate it then I personally would just stop doing whatever it is i'm doing for them. If they don't appreciate my help, I withdraw my help and won't help no more. I won't extend my help where it's not welcomed or appreciated.

All thumbs and paws up here. That worked out well. My mother does the same thing about looking around for things to fret about. Makes you wonder what will be next. :)

Thanks for all the great suggestions. She has done several loads since and I think concluded that it works fine. When she had been upset about it I was gone for a few hours and it seems to escalate when she has nothing else to fret about. I try not to leave her alone for more than an hour, but things happen. She has my cell as well as my sisters and an emergency call button, but this was unusual as distraction usually worked, but this time she was so focused on calling the man. Maybe next time I can pretend to call the man and let her know he is busy for a few days and she may forget.

I would let the complaints (that is what they are) just go. Elderly people complain for something to do, so don't argue with her for your own sanity. I think that generation looks for problems, what else do they have to do? Don't argue with her. All the best. Arlene H.

"Oh Mom, you are right! I don't think these new machines get clothes as clean as the old models did. Your generation knew how to build a quality product! But these newfangled machines have to work with less water. That's a good thing, I guess. A lady in my bowling league has been talking about her washing problems with this kind of machine. I'll ask her what worked best for her. Maybe we need a different laundry product."

Agree with her observation. Offer a different solution.

I could try that as a distraction as usually she doesn't know what day it is anymore thanks

I don't suppose it would work to tell her that "the guy" is coming tomorrow? And keep telling her that every day.

Sometimes you might face a situation where there's no convincing a person, and that's OK. If you have a face such a situation, don't beat yourself up over it, just move on with your own life and keep progressing. Sometimes life is challenging, but just remember, "hope is frail but hard to kill".

Seems like that generation..looks for problems even if one doesn't exist...or they envision negative outcomes..and have paranoid ideas about almost everything...the negativity drives me crazy! I avoid doing certain things for mom for as long as I can ..having a talk with myself...I'm not going to react to how she's going to act...it's difficult..I feel like a bully sometimes...I'll just say..Don't start..please! Yikes!

Yes same washing machine. And I am convinced "the man" never put in a new module , but cannot prove it. The saving grace is that I am here full time, so that won't happen again, but occasionally I have to leave for my own dr appt and that is when she calls, kind of like a teenager who waits until the parent gets out of the house. Roles seem to be reversed.