My grandma had left side stroke and refuses to eat and drink water all the time. What should we do?

My grandma had left side stroke, now she cant speek or understand. She refuses to eat and drink water all the time. We're desperate. Help!!! My grandma had left side stroke, now she cant speek or understand. She refuses to eat and drink water all the time. We're desperate, we try to explain her, to please her, try with sweets, but everything is without succes. She holds out all the time and its very dangerous. How else can we help? Doctor is against tube and has no idea what should we do. It passed 3 months since stroke and there is no progress. Please help, thank you!

37

Answers

1 2 3 4
Thank you for information. When I asked the nurses they told me that I must let her to die. They told me that for 3months. There are days when she ate normally and there are these when she dont want anything.

Dear Little Princess,
If your grandma cannot speak, and is rejecting food and drink, there really is nothing to be done. If she has trouble swallowing, VERY common to stroke patients, then giving her liquids can cause her to choke., and by choke I mean, and then die. If you do give her liquids,, thicken them., ask the nurses that are caring for her now what to buy., There's powder to thicken thin liquids.,, Then just hang on dear, we can't always fix whats wrong. The hospice nurses should be able to give you good direction on what to expect, and where to go for support. Good luck.

There is a drug called Remeron; it's an anti depressant that sometimes increases appetite. there's another drug that doesn't come to mind. google "meds that increase appetite". there is, of course, medical marijuana to consider.

LP, you say you have experience? With persons who are on Hospice who are refusing food? Just make sure that your attempts to feed Grandma are safe. You don't want her to aspirate.

Thank you for advice but I have expirience. Im asking for some techniques or some drugs to increase ter apetite.

Little Princess, If you force in food or water, you will actually cause her to drown in the liquids. Nurses and Doctors know that; you have to trust them. Watching someone drown, because they cannot swallow, would be totally traumatizing.

If someone has some techniques or ideas how to feed and give water to person who refuse it, please help! Thank you!

Care is terrible, they wrote off her at the begining. Anyway we dont have permission for ng tube and that is only matter. I give her very usefull food like meat and cheese. Most progress is in exercises. But she eats so little. If you hear about some techniques or something else that would be helpful for us, please write me. And thank you for time and effort.

LP you can only ask about bowels, staff should be monitoring bowels but i don't know the standard of care where you are.
Yes the TPN does have risks so parental tube into the small intestine is a better long term choice. In the US an ng tube can be only used with a Dr's order. however most hospices have a list of standing orders that the Dr signs on admission which allows the nurses to do certain things without consulting the DR. It usually involves things like using a urinary catheter, starting oxygen and placing ng tubes. NG tubes in my experience are rarely placed.
Recovery from a stroke especially one as severe as Gmas takes many months if not years and intensive therapy to recover at least some function. it is more usual for the patient to have another final severe stroke which will be life ending.
It is of course possible that the Dr did write off Gma from the beginning or more likely she used her professional expertise to decide if further treatment would be appropriate.
Progress can start at any time and usually is very slow and tiny steps. Squeezing your hand smiling and eating a little are all good signs but that may be all the progress she ever makes. There is no way anyone can predict the outcome. If you are a believer praying and just being there for her are the only options you are doing everything else. burden her body with extra nutrients can do more harm then good.

Im scared that TPN is riscyb and that is burden for heart? Have you idea how I get permission for ng tube without doctor? She had tube after stroke for 15days before she started to eat. I dont think the doctor is doing the best for her, I only think she wrote off her at the begining so she thinks that it isnt necessary to try anything because it wouldnt be better.
How can I be sure about bowels?
When could we expect possible progress?
Thank you!

LP Ten Should have said TPN my computer has a mind of it's own.

1 2 3 4