In 2014 I was given Durable Financial POA. She is 78 years old and lives alone. She is a hoarder and collects everything from food, clothes, condiments, paper and trash. She has celulitus in her legs and she is going to a vascular surgeon this month. She has home health care come out 5 days a week, though her house is so disgusting that they just take her and go to town to avoid the stint. I called Adult Protective Services and they told me they can not legally go in her house without being invited. I need to get some type of guardianship so I can get her the care she needs. I just do not know where to start.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Sonya, I'd call APS back and arrange to meet them at your friend's home, where you will have to do some fast and assertive talking and *get* them invited in. You will be making the appointment on behalf of your friend using the authority that she gave you. The worst that can happen is that you waste some of APS's time and they're annoyed with you and you gracefully apologise and you're no further forward.

Your friend gave you DPOA because she trusted you to look out for her. You are doing that as far as you are able. If you can't succeed, then your choices are either to go for guardianship, which as I understand it is an uncertain and expensive process, or to wait for something ghastly to happen to your friend so that she loses all choice about what happens next. Worth another go at avoiding either of those unattractive options, I'd have thought?

Mind you. When you say 'get her the care she needs' what have you in mind?

And who is responsible for providing the home health care, her doctor? If it's anyone you can team up with to have your friend declared incompetent (if she is), that might be worth investigating, too.
Helpful Answer (3)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter