My dad, who has moderate and fairly quickly advancing Alzheimer's, fell on Saturday and fractured his jaw and nose. It's a Le Fort II fracture, in case that's meaningful. He's due to have surgery this afternoon, and I'm rethinking it.
From 3 PM to 1 AM, he was agitated and combative, despite sedation and even wrist restraints. I'm worried about the surgery/anesthesia because of the risk of death and the risk of additional cognitive decline. And yet, if he doesn't have surgery, he'll have a significant underbite, his jaws won't meet well enough for him to chew, and he may have significant pain and/or infection.
When deciding about surgery and both options carry significant down sides, how do you make the decision? Any guidelines or personal experience would be appreciated.