I NEED HELP NOW!!!!!! My father is having a MAJOR meltdown complete with screaming, profanity, hitting me and throwing self from wheelchair!

It all started because his SS check was deposited today.He wanted me to take him to the bank and withdraw 2000.00 for him. When I calmly said "No dad,its not safe to carry around all that money". Thats when he started screaming at me that I was stealing all his money and he was calling the police to have me arrested. This is not the first time he has done this. The last time I had to call 911 because he harmed himself after he worked himself into a frenzy and overturned his wheelchair. Then he wouldn't let anyone help us up. Because of his blood thinner he was a bloody mess from skin tears. After arriving at the hospital he told them I had shoved him and made him fall and we left him home alone all the time and DCF opened an investigation of abuse directed at me. It was unfounded but the caseworker never contacted me again and I have no paperwork about the case. I'm afraid to call for help (he only needs picked up, he has no injuries) because he said he would tell them I pushed him down and I would go to jail. I have 3 people here who have tried to help him and witnessed everything but I'm afraid I'll still go to jail based on his telling them lies. What should I do?

22

Answers

1 2 3
It's time to have him removed from his house. When this happened to me (it's also my house), I didn't wait for another time, but instead had my mom removed because life as you know it for them is over, and another stage is beginning. It's safest for you and for him. It won't be easy but neither is living like you are now.

After being my mother's slave and punching bag 24/7 for 3 years her doc told me "well of course she's had dementia for years, long before you came to look after her". He said he never told me because whenever I came to his office I was with her - he could have, she's so hard of hearing. Well, thanks a bunch, idiot! Had I known it wouldn't have made it easier to bear but easier to understand. Personally I don't like or trust doctors and only go when something's about to drop off :)

Rosie your father needs to go to care. You've done all you possibly can and it will only get worse. Here in Canada the authorities can't just take someone out of their home but if the person goes with them on the promise of a trip or shopping or something, they can be apprehended on public property and taken to care whether they like it or not. I don't know where you are but talk to all the local governmental agencies you can and, first, have a private consult with dad's doctor as he may be able to offer some advice/help.

*by notifying someone*

I agree that YOU need to call and report this to either his doctor, 911, or the hospital - someone - before your father gets a hold of the phone and reports you first. Did he leave any marks when he hit you? If so, go to the ER and get that documented. Call the social worker at the hospital and let them know things have gotten worse and completely out of hand - that you need help in getting him applied for medicaid and placed in a facility. If nothing else, they can let you know who you need to talk to. It doesn't sound like things are going to "calm down" for him - or you - anytime soon, so you need to get the paperwork rolling now. Don't be concerned with being arrested as long as you are keeping documentation as these episodes occur but notifying someone. It also sounds like your father needs a new doctor.

I just googled it and you can't / shouldn't videotape someone in "private" areas like bedrooms or bathrooms. The living room sounds ok.

I have a video camera on my smart phone. I am not what the law would say about videotaping a tantrum, but i think you should try it next time he is abusing and manipulating you.

Do you have a web-cam or at least a tape recorder - I know it sounds awful to make a record of these events but - "a picture is worth a thousand words".
Might even help your Dad to get the help he needs. He may still be coherent enough to behave himself around authority figures - but they need to see what is going on other times.
I've always heard "they turn on the one they love most the first".
Best wishes

I wish this were a more common routine check: if he's in a hospital setting, get a urinalysis done. Major change in behavior in the elderly can be a sign of a UTI.

I am so sorry for you...I am also the POA for my mom and it's a job I wish I didn't have! Please....distance yourself from your Dad and don't feel guilty...my mom says she will find someone else to be POA if I don't want too...I say let her! Sounds like you need to stay away from him and give yourself a break....We all agree of that...Good luck to you!

1 2 3