Dad giving money to siblings without keeping for his close family or retirement. Any advice?

I have an issue that keeps going on for years. Father is 75 years old and got retired 4 years ago. Along his road he owned a business and was rich. Problem is he used to give money to charity, family or to anyone that would ask him for a favor. At this point my mom who is 74 too and who doesnt work , really make me sad. About 28 years of marriage and never he will bring her to a trip , to a restaurant or anything , she just cook and take care of him but nothing in return . As their children , he paid my school but i still get sick about all the money he gave to others instead of taking care of us ; and now its worse , he got problems and his business got the end and he had to sell it , instead of buying an aparement in sake of security , he still give money time to time and explain this by the fact he doesnt have enough money to buy a house anymore . I am really sad and upset , i feel all along this year we never enjoyed anything , i wish he could change and that we live happy moments but i doesnt . I still have though time because i gratuated but my degree doesnt give me the chance to make a lot of money and i want my mom to be satisfied for once .... How can i make him stop all this or just admit that he hurt us ? thank you

19

Answers

@lsmiami your right , she should have spoken a long time ago , but in her words she tried but he didnt pay attention , thing is im her confident and i feel in some way that she tell me that i should be the one who can fix this situation

Tara, you get a job and you help support your parents in their old age. That principle holds true across all cultures, all religions. Even if he gives away every last penny and his last stitch of clothes, your obligation remains.

Dad made money, chose to give some or a lot away. Mom should have spoken up a long time ago, but if she did not or could not, that is in the past. Final stage of life is no time to make or expect changes.
Move out on your own, make your own way in life and spend your money your way.
Not sure what sort of degree you completed, but your grammar is more indicative of a troll than a university graduate. That is why some responders are calling BS, and I tend to agree.

Tara2128, those who are investors are quite happy that there are people who prefer to rent.... even the founder of Facebook was a renter or still is. For some it is just an easier lifestyle not worrying about maintaining a home.

Thanks , freqflyer ! well i meant a house or an apartment just something for them because they are renting for many years ; but you are right .
Im 24 btw

Tara2128, money doesn't buy happiness. A lot of young students who are struggling to pay for college would be envious of you having your education paid for. Use that education and create your own life instead of dwelling on how your Dad had spent his money.

My significant other's grown children thought he was their personal ATM machine and they never learned to manage money themselves... now it is coming back to bite them because their Dad finally had a light bulb moment and turned off that personal ATM machine... now they don't care much for their Dad. See, it was all about money :(

By the way, at 74 years old, buying and maintaining a house is a lot of work for someone that age. He would be better being in an apartment.

Thank you all for the helpful answers and insights . Well as @ margarets said , maybe i should have mentionned that i have a middle easter culture where is considered obligatory to take care of your family . Actually what was frustrating me too is that my father married my mother knowing that he will take care of her , he didnt want her to work and be a stay home mome to take care of the house . He litterally didnt want her to do anything else as a hobby or such , as for me , it was pretty much the same thing , he was very protective and didnt want me to do many things and telling me that he is here for taking care and that after i will get married and blabla , but it doesnt work that way anymore as i believe .. , and here we are now , worrying about the future. Actually if i say this , im worried because i know i must take care of them after , and by that is completly. . As katiekat2009 said too im worried about the same thing ,that he die one day and their is a big fight because of all this . @ jeannegibbs i get your point totally , yes your many things in life is unfair , i did some counselling and it was ok and went well but i cant help of worrying about this situation and i would like to find a solution .
@ blannieyes Yes my father is the oldest one ., which explain a lot , he always took care of all his family and more, i think its a great thing until this years where we struggling and they still suck him to death , he had problems no one even called , i just hate that , they disapear and come back only to ask money , its not help its pure benefit ...

Tara, your dad is a foolish man, it sounds like. You're not going to change him at this late date. Sad for your mom, does she have any say in how household money gets spent?

Perhaps you could get him to agree to set aside a certain amount in trust for his care?

I understand completely what Tara is saying. When my dad died he left mom about half a million in assets. She gave it all away or had it stolen by greedy siblings. When it came to the point she needed a caregiver, siblings were nowhere around. I had only her Mcare and retirement check to use for her. When she died, the greedy suckers were back for what little shehad