My father had a lawyer revoke me as POA, having advanced dementia how could his lawyer do it?

My father believed in his demented mind I had stolen his money from the bank. Why the banker couldn't explain the process to him is beyond me. He had me revoked as poa and moa. I did just at the attorneys told me to do, but the my father believes I've stolen his money. Instead of explaining that nothing had been not that was unethical she just removed me as their POA, and MOA. This attorney knows I've done nothing and I believe she had my mother sign off on paperwork to remove while my mother was unaware of why she was doing this. I taped recorded a conversation with mother she's in the hospital right now and was admitted for being confused and incoherent. This attorney is setting herself up to be disbarred.

If I'm wrong but the POA goes into affect when they get to this point I have doctors statements to support the facts how could she do this and get away with! She's tried to sell them on all kinds services, while we were there but I had it under control and told her this. Maybe I should count is as a blessing because she is going to cost him a fortune and he's already thinking people are stealing from him. This is part of the disease, this is an injustice to my family. Can someone help with this!

23

Answers

1 2 3
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope you can hire a lawyer who can help you.
I can relate. My mother and step-father owned a home together. Mom put a LOT of money into the home. He was domineering and she did whatever he told her to. He took her to go to a shyster law firm to do their living trusts. It was not until he died and the will was read that we found out they have gotten my mother to sign the house over to his living trust. His trust said she could live in the house as long as she wanted (and of course had to pay the mortgage) If she sold it she got only 1/3 of the equity, and if she did not live in it for three consecutive months (say she fell and was in rehab) she forfeit the whole thing. Mom trusted any man to tell her what to do. It was a nightmare, and when we fought it, she still only got 1/2 the equity when she should have owned the home outright.
Good luck.

Accusing the caring adult child of theft and evil deeds seems to be a common thread with dementia. I've sure had a belly full of it myself. And it sure hurts. The easy way out is to cut the cord; change your phone number and forget about all of them totally. And I know several women that have done this with their crazy parents. The harder route, and less rewarding, is to fight to remain in control. Either because you can't help yourself caring for your parents, or you want to keep them from getting ripped off totally, or some other reason. I guess it just depends on what you will be comfortable doing. Either way has its drawbacks. Sorry you are suffering through this mistreatment. It's miserable, I know.

Nurs, you are going to have to hire an attorney, go to court, and petition for conservatorship (adult guardianship), and you must be able to demonstrate good cause why your sister, in her currently legal (although unethical) role as POA. That will be very costly for you and extremely difficult to prove to the court. I am going through a very similar situation right now with my evil sister, and everything I'm finding out is quite grim. My sister may even be able to prevent me from ever seeing my mom again, if she prevails, so you really have to weight out what route to take, so your own, and your mom's, best interests are served. It really is a miserable, depressing, anxiety-ridden predicament, isn't it? And so frustrating, especially when you've been providing most, if not all, of the caregiving!

Nurs, play the same game. Take mom to the doc, and get the POA tranferred back to you. Then sis would probably do the same thing and it woyld become endless. You could call Adult Protective Services, they may be able to help get the POA withdrawn if you can show them doctor's letter of incompetence. If Mom is advanced Alzheimer's moving her to your home would more than likely cause a sudden, drastic decline. Now that she has moved to a facility, it may be best to leave her there.

Now, thinking about it a bit more. Have you seen the POA that sis has? If it is a standard doctor's office form it probably does not say anything about the agent having the power to choose living situation. Does the POA you have provide you that power? If yours was prepared by an attorney, the living situation is often included.

I live in Ohio and have had POA of my mom since 2011. My mom has Alzheimer's. In her moderate stage she was cohereced into calling her family MD to revoke POA to which she didn't know his number but was dialed by another to do so and when asked, she don't recall doing such a thing. Needless to say if you test her mental orientation, she can't tell you all the answers. However, her MA at the docs office states the md felt she was competent to do so yet she couldn't even tell you the year or date or city she's in. Her alzheimers is severe and my sister wanted me to put her in nursing home and snuck last yr and had mom sign a new POA yet all mom knows is her name. An atty said mom can't cancel POA due to not being competent to make such healthcare choices and I have a statement from her neurologist saying she's not legally competent to make changes to her POA since her diagnosis of Alzheimer's in 2011. My sister has put her in a nursing home and provided them her POA papers. I told nursing home it's not legal and I originally have POA and statement from specialist that diagnosed her. None of them will listen to me nor accept anything I say to them. I want my mom to come home and live with me. I am an RN. What do I need to do to overturn my sisters POA since it's illegal? Why do I have to get atty or pay out my money to file something in court when her diagnosis and mental capacity says she is not of sound mind? I would like to fix this asap and without it costing me lots of money. I live in Ohio. P,ease help!

Hello Lamore, thank you for sharing your husbands story, so sorry for all the heartache. It's been a year now and much has changed from last year this time, however the hurt frustration, and one more attorney later I'm just coasting. It's been a horrible traumatic and difficult time. My folks are residing now in a very nice memory care unit. I had to cut ties from my folks my father was getting so threatening, they are so sick, they have each other that's all that matters to them. Yeah! They've know idea what my life is like, but they are well cared for and have a new attorney. This attorney demanded I pay with the trust money for the difference needed for my folks. I said sure provide me with the itemized bills as I have to be accountable for what ever comes out of the trust. So the new attorney had an estate sale without telling me. She sold everything of my folks everything else was destroyed. I found this out from a neighbor of my folks she called asking if I new they'd had an estate sale 2 weeks prior Nope didn't know a thing. So I let it good, now the house is up for sale, I'm glad really it's more than I could handle right now. I'm still trying to recover get my strength back and deal with my own medical issues. I agree Lamore I have had to cut them lose. I have cousin who lives in Richmond she checked on them for me the other day went by for a visit. Their just fine, never any mention of me as far as she reported. So I've worn myself out I've nothing left over really for myself. My father turned 90 and my mother 88 in September, I keep thinking they will out live me. Their choices have taken a toll on me, so I'm trying to move on I have too there isn't any help for me I'm on my own. So sad what insanity lurks in the hearts of the people who gave birth to us. We don't get to choose our parents, families. You know I still love them very much, but they've broken my heart as I've never known possible. Oh yes now I pray for my own peace and well being to manifest in a new life far away from all of them. I know that heartache your husband feels best wishes to you both. Good advise you gave, leave the toxic people and situations alone, move on.

Dear Zoo
My husband just went through a similar situation with a demented mother and a traitor son who stole my husband's and his sister's inheritance. He abducted my mother I law from our house and took her to her financial advisor and she transfered 75% of her trust fund to his name and the rest of the money to his sister, brother and all their kids.. The whole family went to hell because of the greed of a son. Now my husband is being kept from contacting his own mother who he had POA and pre needed guardianship from 20 years ago.. They poisoned the old lady to hate her own son and daughter (my hubby and his sister) and my poor hubby misses his mother since they had a wonderful relationship and he took care of her ever since his father died back in 1986 .. Now my husband lost his mother, his sons and daughter and in the midst of all the mess got into an argument with his sister (cause she teamed with his son about all the legal issues cause she wanted to keep the guardianship on the finances so my husband's son would not waste his grandmother's money and then the court would come after my sister in law's money for support of their mother ) so .. My advise to all of you is to support your spouse in distress and detach from the toxic people in the family .. The Laws in this country are CRAP! And helped all this group of greedy people separate a mother and a son who barely months ago were best friends and because dementia and poisoning from a greedy con artis now she sees him as her enemy .... Just let go of them .. Hand the hassle to other hands and free yourselves from toxic people !! Good luck all

Jennymac, I am so terribly sorry for your heart break over your parents. They did treat you horrendously you didn't deserve that. Forgive as I've been trying to put my life back together and haven't been on this blog for sometime because it was to painful even to be here. I hope you've received some healing Jennymac, yes your story resonates with me as well. My mother won't even speak with me now my father has poisoned her against me I suppose. They never called me unless my father wanted to threaten me over his little bitty money. Truly it's not much. I'm trying to get peace I too stopped contact with them. Without contacting me the attorney had an estate sale the neighbors called me 2 weeks after the sale to ask me if I knew about it, I said know. A month later I looked on line my parent house is for sale I was never notified. I feel betrayed, they shut be out of their lives years ago. I no longer will have anything to do with them as everything I tried was never good enough. The pain I sustained is their shame of who they are. My heart goes out to you Jennymac I do hope you are in much better place now.

lilith53 So sorry your family is divided. I just can't believe some of the stories I've read, or others have told me of their own family end of life issues! I never wanted this to happen, my only intention has been to help my parents, who needs the abuse. I tell you this the attorney that believe I was going to roll over and walk away I can't I will stop her. I can prove she has done everything fraudulently. The fact that I've done nothing if this does go to court it will only show I've done nothing and I will go after her, and my father won't be to happy with her at this point either! I believe that there is going to be spiritual accountability that will over ride anything this attorney is lying to my folks she can do for them. She would be a fool to try and continue to represent them since she has a formal complaint filed with the state bar.

Lots of greedy people in the world. I have a sister that has great influence over mother with dementia. She talked my mother into putting my father in a home in another city when a room was offered in our home town...effectively cutting him off from most of his family. She has made sure that her name is on all the legal papers and controls bank accounts. She's done everything she can for complete control and her and husband have taken Mom to lawyers a number of times. I know that there has been a change in the will. It's a long story but the end result is that I have stepped back, have no contact with my sister, except for being polite at family events, where she usually makes snide remarks, she is trying to alienate me from family members including my own grown children. I really have no control over what she does or says and have had to accept this and let it all go to look after my own emotional and physical health. If I feel I need to address a concern I speak to her doctors, and to Dad's as well. If I am cut out of the will, so be it. My mental well being is far more important ( I am not rich, live on a small senior pension). My sister, however, is loaded. Go figure. I guess the greedy get rich that way.

1 2 3