Can you charge an elderly disabled parent to live in your home?

My mom is in Nurs. home for recent broken hip. Medicare will no longer pay for care. If she stays there, will be paying $300/day out of pocket, and within 4 months all her funds will be gone (will have to apply for medicaid).
We are instead looking to bring her to our house to live. I am a nurse and would have to take a leave from my job as she is unsafe to stay alone (some dementia and unable to walk alone). HIring an aide to come in for all the hours I am gone is not an option.
Can we charge her monthly rent/board to cover all of the extra expenses we will have and providing her care, and all services-- laundry, transport, all meals, supervision, etc.? (would be less then what she receives monthly in pensions. not touching her small savings)
If she would need to apply to medicaid in the future, would that be a legitimate expense? (she would be paying over $8000/month to stay in nursing home, over $3000/month if in assisted living) .

19

Answers

Oh, Suzie, I am so sorry for your situation! Can your daughter, who now has the increased value of the house, pay you at least some of that money back? It is not like you can sell it!

I suggest that you consult an attorney who specializes in Elder Law for advice on what to do now.

Your Medicaid application would be considered again after a penalty period based on how much you "gave away." Would your daughter help you out for that period? Between your SS and her help, if you can self-pay for that penalty period then you could be on Medicaid.

But I think the first step is to see a lawyer -- and not who handles divorces or tax problems or intellectual property. One who specializes in Elder Law.

Thank you for sharing one of the pitfalls of using your money to enhance the value of someone else's home. Maybe it will keep someone else from learning the hard way.

I went to live with my daughter with the money I received from my husband's insurance. I paid for the apartment and everything else. She decided she did not want me there and told me to leave. I went to assisted living. I tried to get Medicaid and was not able to get it because of the money I spent on the apartment. This was after I was assured I would qualify and spent down to nothing. What do I do now? Suzie

My daughter wanted me to come and live with her and family after her dad died. I had some life insurance money and we decided to take the money and covert her downstairs basement into a walk out apartment. I paid for all the work done on the apartment plus the landscaping. After about a year she decided she did not want me there any longer. I moved into an independent living but after a while I knew I needed more help. I applied for Medicaid. The social service assured me that I would qualify for it. So needless to say I had to spend down the rest of my money to do this after than submitted my papers. They told me that I was not eligible for Medicaid because of the insurance money I had used to pay for the building of my apartment. That was regarded as a gift. Now what do I do? I am totally broke and do not know what is out there for me.

Win-Win! My Mom lives with us and the way I have explained the fact to sister and family members is that Mom is paying us to live here but.... She is saving about $1000 a month from what she would have to spend in assisted living, and we are increasing our retirement budget by "working" for Mom. She wins and it's good for us too. Some days when I have dealt with the frustrations of smiling through dementia crabbiness or repeating myself 4 times, I remind myself that this is my job and I AM getting some compensation. ...it helps somehow. If we require respite care, we pay for it out of Mom's monthly contribution. She is aware of what she would be paying in a nursing home and what she was paying in independent living and we call our arrangement "Win-Win" I have told everyone in the family they can step in at any time and take my place but no one has offered . It's surprising how a little extra income can make you feel better about dealing with some of the challenges of elder care AND how much better my Mom is being taken care of surrounded by people that love her.....win-win!

Also if you google on the internet "family caregiver contracts" you will find a growing trend for this type of legal contract that especially protects the elderly family member but also the caregiver. Sometimes, families can deplete their own resources helping an elderly family member etc.

I am dealing with a similar issue with my elderly uncle. Best to get legal advice from a good elder law attorney who can advise the elderly person, caregiver, and POA's the appropriate legal way to spend down the elderly assets, so should they need to qualify for Medicaid, there won't be hiccups. Laws are changing soon. Elder abuse is on the rise-so the laws are changing. So check into while your mom can still make some decisions for herself. But, also realize that the "bottom line" it is her choice.

You can get a contract for caregiving duties and also as landlord or roommates. However, you would also need to claim this income on your taxes. So a good CPA or Tax Preparer is in order.

Like I said best to get a good elder law attorney who is an expert or at least knowledgeable about Medicaid rules.

Believe or not, you have to pay taxes on the money you are paid. So charge more to cover the taxes. Your sibling doesn't realize how much or how hard it is to care for a parent. It does sound strange to charge them, but who can afford not to now adays. At $18 an hour the money will run out fast if you had someone come in everyday. It will be hard on you, so take care of yourself. The Veteran's will pay you if your father was in the service. There is a place here to find information. Good luck. Hugs.

My 90 year old Mom has lived in my home for 10 years.We have created an apartment type of area for her. She has been in bad health the whole time. Two back surgeries, a broken hip, and a mild stroke brings us up to date. I am retired and can care for her needs, but for the past 5 years I have been charging her about 1,000 a month for food , shelter, and total caregiving Will I be in trouble if at some point she goes into a home and I have to apply for medicaid.

Caring for the elderly deserves pay. You can also check with a social worker through the county you are in. For when the money has run out there is financial assistance through elderly waiverly which is assessed on the abilities and financial status of the elderly person. It has been a big help in this household!

my mom does not want to go into a nursing home so she takes turns living at 3 of our homes She is in agreement with the situation and knows from caring for her own mom how difficult it can be. Her resources are such that the caregiver gets $70. a day . She pays for medicine and depends. We switch homes every 21-28 days. There are 8 children and only 3 of us can take her in their home. This is a lot cheaper for her and it gives us the incentive to give her what she wants. Other siblings know how challenging the project and have not disputed because they are not able or do not want the responsibility. One of us has to hire some outside help because of work schedule for which mom pays $10. an hour. We have now cared for Mom for 5 years. She is 90 years old.

my mom does not want to go into a nursing home so she takes turns living at 3 of our homes She is in agreement with the situation and knows from caring for her own mom how difficult it can be. Her resources are such that the caregiver gets $70. a day . She pays for medicine and depends. We switch homes every 21-28 days. There are 8 children and only 3 of us can take her in their home. This is a lot cheaper for her and it gives us the incentive to give her what she wants. Other siblings know how challenging the project and have not disputed because they are not able or do mot want the responsibility. One of us has to hire some outside help because of work schedule for which mom pays $10. an hour. We have now cared for Mom for 5 years.