My mother has personality change, paranoia, out bursts, but is still high functioning. Can she have Alzheimer's Disease without obvious memory loss?

21

Answers

1 2 3
horselover im with hevnbnd i would check her for a U.T.I them seems the signs for that but if you do not go to the dr with your mother i would make a appt witht the dr yourself and talk to him and let him know what is going on. sounds like a mixture of both to me but a U.T.I. could set it off more

Dementia is more common. She needs to be diagnosed by her Dr. My grandmother has symptoms similar to your moms. Dehydration can cause mental symptoms. Push water, juice fruits and veggies if possible. You can't MAKE them drink or eat more, but you can certainly try. My grandmother refused to drink enough and ended up in the hospital with some dehydration and a mild urinary tract infection. She has some dementia but functions pretty well overall, but I can't make her do something she doesn't want to do. The hospital staff kind of gave me the side-eye, like I wasn't taking proper care of her or something. At some point, it goes beyond just taking care of them and becomes a matter of protecting yourself legally from the backwash of dementia related issues. Best of luck.

Those were the symptoms we first noticed with my father who eventually died with Alz.

MOM NEEDS TO BE DIAGNOSED BY A MD, NURSE PRACTICTIONER, PHYSICIAN'S ASSISTANT,ETC IN THIS LIFETIME ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE BUT I WOULD DEFINITELY GET 2 TO 3 OPINIONS

thank you for your apology.

caregiver63, I'm sorry if I came across as nasty. I truely did NOT mean to. Please don't take this as an attack. I was just trying to say that a UTI could cause alot of different personality changes. truce????

And, UTI can also contribute to other ailments including stroke. Dementia is complex. Not all of us know about medicine. Yet we appreciate the opportunity to learn to better help others.

Whatever.......you needn't be so nasty.......

caregiver 63, If you've never heard of a UTI making an older person behave this way then you must have not been around any that had 1. My MIL went "WILD" kicking doors biting my husband, trying to hit me with a hammer etc. because we wouldn't let her out of the house when everthing was icy. She also would hide things and accuse someone of stealing from her (minor things like can biscuits). She would refuse her meds because she said we were trying to kill her. I could go on and on but I'll stop here and tell you, when her infections cleared up--she loved and appreciated us taking such good care of her. And btw--it's then that I'm 'better than any of her kids to her and she loves me as much as her own kids.' I have a support group at church and this seems to be a very common problem with older people when they have a UTI. The geriatric Dr. will tell you this also.

It is a very good idea to communicate with your mom's doctor if nothing more than to educate him/her concerning her health. You aren't asking for information, rather, you are telling. The doctor is under no legal obligation to tell the patient from whence information has been obtained and the doctor should reaspect your request for privacy.

1 2 3