I am pretty sure my brother filed an elder abuse allegation against me, claiming I am somehow abusing our mother. What could happen to Mom and I?

I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure my brother called or wrote the county that me and my mom live in and filed an elder abuse allegation claim against me. Claiming that I am somehow abusing our mother. There is NO basis for this allegation, but they nonetheless showed up, interrogated the two of us, both individually and separately, but we're now left in "no man's zone" not knowing what's going to happen next. When I called the social worker who interrogated me in order to find out if we had the right to see or read the report, I was told NO. Neither one of us had any right to see or read it, which seems terribly unfair to both of us! Does the reporter have the right to the report? WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE REPORT HAS BEEN WRITTEN OR SUBMITTED? When will we find out what the final outcome will be or will we end up having to wake up with a knock on the door with law enforcement placing me in handcuffs and another forcing my mom in a nursing home without her permission or against her will? We are BOTH VERY CONCERNED about what could possibly happen to US over this and would very much appreciate anyone's input regarding what they've personally have happened to them or have heard of same. Thank you!

23

Answers

1 2 3
NO, STILL NOTHING.... NO LETTER, PHONE CALL, EMAIL, ETC.!!! z I'm left up in the air, wondering..... Afraid to call to find out, even though I've got nothing to hide?

I know this is an old post but would love to know what happened. She should have received something to say the accusation was unfounded to give her peace of mind.

Thank you, pamzimmrrt! I won't lie.... It's not been easy but if I don't take care of her, no one else will and I do love her enough to spend as long as it takes to be sure she IS taken care of... By ME!

Lotsokittycats,, I think you are home free! Keep up the good work and be proud of the care you give! You would have heard something by now.

Well, it's been almost eight months since those elder abuse investigators showed up at our door and STILL NOTHING! No letter advising that the case had been closed or any other contact whatsoever. I know that Countrymouse suggested I give them a call and, "let me know if I can help," but I have to be honest in that I'M AFRAID TO! Don't exactly know why but I just am. Any thoughts?

Just a thought - have you tried putting in a courtesy phone call and asking them if there's any follow-up to their visit? Phrase it in a "let me know if I can help" way. And if they can't tell you yet, asking them when you might expect to hear from them is also a perfectly reasonable and polite question.

Thank you ALL for your words of encouragement, advice, and stories! They have made me much more comfortable and at peace that things will work out (eventually). It's the waiting that's difficult but, as someone said, "no news is good news!" Thanks again!

I had not had it go this far, but have had police show up. They told me to not worry about it and that they would not bother me again. I would think that if there was a smoking gun, they would have already made plans to get another caregiver lined up for your mom. I firmly believe that truth will prevail when people are doing all the right things. My parents have told me that anyone who lies will be found out sooner or later, and I hope this is the case with you also. One of these days karma will get them for their nastiness.
I was advised by several counselors to seek a lawyer for myself and I'm planning to.

Hire an elder law attorney.

Hello, I can understand what you are going through. Let me say to you don't loose sleep over the allegations because it's not true. I will share a little bit of my story with you. My 64 year old husband is disabled from having a stroke 3 years ago. I am almost 40 years old and I have stepped up to the plate. I am the only caregiver for him plus I work full time. Caregiving is not easy. I was in nursing school and I am thankful for the skills I learnt because it helps me alot. He uses a hemiwalker and can say about 4 words, also he makes sounds and gestures, that's how I communicate with him. My husband was good to me and I feel like his family don't trust me because of my age. I will continue to care for him as long as I can. His eldest sister and a close friend of his used to visit us 2 years ago. Due to her being disrespectful to us whenever she visits, my husband indicated to her she should not come by again. This friend and sister called his phone and he refused all calls. They have left harrassing voice messages, she sent him disrespectful texts and made nasty comments while we were in the hospital. She has not seen her brother over 2 years now. They left voice messages saying they will send the police on us. And guess what, they blame me for all that. I made it clear to them that he has his own phone and if he doesn't want to answer his phone, respect that.
A few months later the police showed up at my home, asking for my husband by name, I gladly welcome them in. The cops saw him and look around my apartment and left. That hurt me to my core that his family would do that. I broke down. I was angry. Couple weeks after that, an investigator from APS showed up. This was last year March and April. I asked the investigator if he can wait a few minutes because I was doing my husband's hygiene care. Then I welcome him in, he saw and communicated with my husband. I asked him who called me in, he said he can't say who. I then told him I knew who did it. I told him everything that's going on and we don't have the time and energy to deal with drama from his sister and friend. He asked me to save the texts and voice messages. I have a bag of receipts that I kept which the officer took pictures of, and he also looked into my refrigerator. He said not to worry. I was prepared for that visit. Thankfully, they haven't bothered us in months, and what they have done has only alienated him from them. I am more at peace with our situation now. The investigator has not returned.
I hope this helps put your fears at rest. People can be vindictive. Stay blessed.

1 2 3