Can my brother file a claim for taking care of step-grandfather for 9yrs?

My brother was our step-grandfathers caregiver for 9 years. He recently put him in a nursing home because he was falling. Step-grandfathers lawyer has gone to nursing home and took copy of the Will, My cousin broke into the house that brother cohabitated with step grandfather. She took all brother paperwork and the will. We go to the courthouse, the will was picked up by the lawyer in Sept. Step-grandfather died in October. Brother was payee with Social Security Adm. My brother has no way of getting a copy of will. Can he put a lien on the house to recoup his losses, he paid property taxes, electric,water,sewer, cable, property insurance. The lawyer seems to be trying to steal this property from my brother. Is there any way that brother could petition the court to force lawyer to bring the will back to the courthouse. This has never gone into probate, the county attorney said it should have already been in probate. He told us if we could get copy of the will he would probate it. I don't know what to do?

24

Answers

1 2 3
Someone said the will must be filed at the county....which I don't know, is that really true, everywhere? My parents recently re-did their will. They have a real copy, I have a real copy, and the lawyer has a real copy. As far as I know, the courts only recognize a real original, with the Notary and 2 witnesses, and there's only the 3 copies I saw signed. So whatever might have been "filed with the county" is not an original. It also costs a fee to file one there. I'm only writing this, to say, I don't think a will HAS TO or is Always filed with the county....it might be a photocopy could be on file there, but the Original one is needed by the executor. Maybe someone else can clarify.

One also has to consider that we have senior citizens taking care of their parents who are in their 90's.

If my parents were in their 90's when I was in my 40's or 50's, I could manage it with a ton of energy. Once I past that 60 year old mark, my health took a downward slide big time. Same with my sig other, his energy level is half gone. Sleeping on the floor, I would need an EMT to pick ME up :P

Yes I see all the comments and I didnt mean to offend anyone. Because this post is off tangent now, I feel that sending someone to a nursing home because they have been falling is not an answer. What can the nursing home do to prevent falls that we cannot do at home? Yes I slept on the floor next to mom for 2 months while her hip healed and yes only did housework with her next to me in the wheelchair, there is no magic pill but lots of fall prevention tactics. I have been a fulltime caregiver to my Mom for 7 years in my home so I more than understand different scenerios. I believe this is the hardest job in the world and admire everyone who takes their parents into their home for better or worse.

Sorry jeanniegibbs, I meant that last comment for Reveroles. As for my brother not being competent, the Social Security adm. allowed him to be guardian for 9 years. He kept immaculate records of where step-grandfathers money. Step-grandfathers money went to his bank account. My brother had his own bank account.

jeaniegibbs. I resent you implying that elderly people aren't being cared for when they fall. My father had the best care possible, he had a vac pump on his foot, He had complications from diabetes. He was supposed to be sitting in chairs, once he fell out of bed. I don't understand how you can be so judgemental. My step-grandfather was 80 years old.

It was at the courthouse but it wasn't lodged into public record. It was in safekeeping. Our step-grandfather was only in the home for two weeks. He made them transfer him back to our city because he wanted to see my brother. I hope the greedy family members that done this realizes that He wanted my brother, not them. He is getting a lawyer this week, My brother had a new home built, our step-grandfather wanted to live in his home so my brother gave up his house to take care of him. This will is about 6 yrs old.

The will should be filed at the courthouse in the county in which they live.

Falling is something that can happen in the best of care situations. My mother got up in the middle of the night and fell, later that morning, she fell while I was in the bathroom. She had been placed on the sofa and was sleeping when I went into the bathroom less than 3 minutes, she was on the floor. They are quick when you aren't looking. Sometimes you must attend to nature. Middle of the night - even with a monitor on or sleeping in the same room, the fall occurs. It is unreasonable to expect someone to be aware every second of the day. I'm an only child an I have a part time paid caregiver and still she ends up on the floor through no fault of ours.
Now back to the cousin thing. File a "breaking and entering" police report. Be sure that you can prove it.

Please falls are very hard to prevent even if ur right there holding on to them. To imply that more then one fall is neglect is ridiculous. We r very lucky to date to only have one fall, after asking my mother numerous times if she would like to come in the kitchen with with me after she finished her breathing treatment she insisted she would just stay in living room, well she changed her mind and got up with out my help and fell. Elder doesn't always remember they need help and accidents happen. " ACCIDENTS" I have to. Cook, clean and do laundry, make beds along with being my mothers caregiver 24/7. I can't be at her side 24/7 I can however do my best to care for her and try to make sure she is safe, but I can't carry her on my hip when I'm fixing her meals or changing her bed clothes, doing her laundry, if I could I would. I am however with her 24/7 or there is someone here to relieve me, I get 8hrs a week off out of 168hrs in a week. I have no-one else here to help me. I hope u don't have more than one fall but don't imply neglect you don't what ur talking about

Reverseroles, you can baby proof the whole house, have a room full of nurses, and that elder will find some way to fall. There is nothing suspicious going on, it's just reality.

1 2 3