What is the best laundry detergent to get the smell of urine out?

Sometimes I have to run the load twice and I still smell the pee. I can't bleach everything.

27

Answers

1 2 3
I've tried adding borax to my Tide detergent but would often have to re-wash. I found a new product called "Lysol Laundry Sanitizer" that gets the smell out the first try. It has no bleach so it is safe to use on colored fabrics. Also, the instructions on the bottle state that if you soak the fabrics for around 15 minutes, then it kills 99% of bacteria, which would be especially helpful when washing clothes soiled from bowel incontinence.

My mother has dementia and was constantly having accidents!
20 Mule Team Borax works SOMEWHAT for whites, but it WILL BLEACH color clothing and it doesn't remove all of the odor.
"Febreeze Odor Eliminator" found in the detergent & fabric softener isles at Wal-Mart WORKS on ALL CLOHTING!!!
Sorry I couldn't get the picture to paste, but below is the link for viewing product container so you know what to look for:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/711FJKCo3rL._SY550_.jpg

I use distilled white vinegar in my wash. I just add it in with my laundry detergent, and it gets rid of any odors in your clothes.

To get the smell out use distilled white vinegar. It really works. I just pour the vinegar in with the laundry detergent. I now wash all my laundry this way.

P.s. Try and give your person cranberry juice or the pills, may help. Increase fluids urine must be very concentrated..

Washing there is a great technique, HOT WATER, 2 RINSE CYCLES. DETERGENTS I LIKE TIDE, I USE BAKING SODA FOR WHITES & WHEN I HAVE IT.. BORAX BOOST DETERGENT. YES, I gave put white vinegar in my rinse also. (I LIKE Liquid Fabric softeners, good brand Snuggles & faithful Downy. ) If you have the LUXURY OF A CLOTHES LINE, THAT'S WOULD BE AWESOME! ! HAPPY WASHING 😆😃😉

I put hand towels over my mothers diapers and a cotton button diaper over those! So in the morning...the towels are pretty saturated. I throw those outside in an open basket and every other day, I wash those with detergent on a longer cycle, add bleach, and softener...rinse cycle twice! Regular clothes that have pee on them...I "immediately" hand wash the section that has pee on it, let it dry and in the hamper with other clothes. Never have pee smells and I wash a lot of clothes.

Use baking soda in your washes.

This may sound counter-intuitive but we used a cup of ammonia in the wash. Believe me it works! My sister who has been a private care giver for 20 years learned this "trick" from our aunt who worked as an aide in the nursing home. Our mother had dementia and was incontinent when she slept. I washed sheets twice a day....this was the only thing that worked for us. There are a lot of good ideas here. Even though my mom has passed on to her glory as has my MIL I still come to this site. So much great advice and situations I may encounter in the future. I want to be as prepared as possible. Thank you to everyone!

Having good luck with the Scent enhacers by the fabric softner companys.. Snuggle packs are cheapest and do a good job.. you add them with the detergent, still use fabric softner...

1 2 3