Does anyone notice balance issues due to loved one's dementia?

I realize there are or could be additional underlying conditions. I was just reading of prescription and OTC contributory drugs that include motion sickness etc. and wondered if dizziness is common with dementia?

19

Answers

pnutbutmchoc: For the most part, quite a lot of elders have an unstable gait. It's just a part of aging. Canes, wheelchairs, walkers and Rollator walkers would not have ever been invented if there was no need for them!

Yes, I have noticed my mom having balance issues since dementia.

Iamkitty, have you ever seen the walking or trekking poles that are popular with fitness buffs? They look like ski poles but are designed for walking, with hand grips and loops and sturdy rubber tips. I wonder if your mom might find them more helpful than the broomsticks?

Thank you all. I found an article on a type of OTC drugs that increase dementia! Dramamine and many sleep formulas. What next...one of the bravest generations in the world! Those that just keep on keeping on!

My Mom had issues with balance and she didn't have dementia at that time. She just refused to use a walker, but would once in a while use a cane. She found taking anti-vert was very helpful for her but as we all know, if you find a med that works great, eventually the pharmaceutical company will stop making it :P

Once I realized the company was no longer making anti-vert I called every drug store in the area and bought what stock they had. Mom's doctor suggested using the generic of the drug but that did squat, didn't help at all. So my Mom started taking anti-histamines which helped a bit, it was better than nothing.

Another thing to notice about balance, look at what type of shoes one's parent/spouse is wearing. If the shoe isn't sturdy it won't help. I got Mom quality sneakers and that helped her.

My mother has a really hard time walking when she first stands up, then just a hard time the longer she walks. We take brooms and thak the broom off the stick (most just screw off) and put electrical tape on the bottem end. She uses on in each hand. She will have NOTHING to do with canes.

Thank you thank you- all of you for responding. It helps so much more than I can express. Our family is in deep denial and I know I can get honest answers and life experiences here. If we know what could be coming I feel better trying to understand it now. Blessings and big bear huggz to all.

My mother suffers from vascular dementia and has been bedridden/immobile for the last few years. She was having trouble walking and keeping her balance for a year, then went on hospice for a random health issue and recovered but never regained her mobility. It sucks big time.

I have Lewy Body and Frontotemporal. A piece (varying in size from one person to another) of Lewy is Parkinsons, which causes balance and movement problems. I live with it daily, but it gets extremely bad if I get sick (almost like my brain disconnects from my body)--I fall and even though I know how to get up I can't get my arms and legs to move to do it, then when I finally get up I have trouble standing due to legs not wanting to work and balance problems.
Last hospital stay an OT explained that over my life I have learned to do things automatically--stand up, turn around, 'left flank, march', etc etc etc. She told me I have to slow down--take my time turning (especially sharp turns at corners and around to go the other way) in order to better maintain my balance and reduce the risk of falls. I also use a cane (walker if my balance really starts going away), ramps and elevators instead of stairs, and watch the ground for holes, dips and other things that could throw me off or trip me.

My grandma has a lot of dizziness and balance issues. She has fallen although not recently and has broken many bones. I do not know if it is because of the medications she's on, the fact she's a diabetic but a stable one, or if it's dementia. I always chalked it up to her just being 86 years old and it being part of the aging process. You start with being carried around, you end with the same.

You can talk to her doctor about possible side effects of medicine, try to encourage her to use a walker or cane to help when she does get dizzy and shadow walk with her (following her around in case she loses her balance to assist with her not falling or keeping her balance). That's what I do with my grandma. She's never alone while walking. I shadow-walk everywhere she goes including to the bathroom, to get her food, etc. She never goes anywhere without her walker and always takes it slow getting up and sitting down as to try to limit the dizziness caused by fast moving.