Find Care & Housing
"VA will recognize a common law marriage if the state in which the Veteran resides recognizes common law marriage, and the state's requirements for a common law marriage are met. ... The Veteran need not submit evidence of the already-recognized marriage with an application for a new benefit."

Make an appointment with your VA dept in your County and talk to a representative.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to JoAnn29
BurntCaregiver Jul 8, 2021
They may recognize commonlaw marriage in some states, but only if there isn't a legal spouse somewhere else.
In Canada yes.

If you are in the US you will have to talk to Veterans Affairs.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Tothill

Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter