My mother qualifies for the VA Aid and Attendance to help pay for her nursing home care. Who files the paperwork for this benefit? Me or the nursing home? Does the benefit go directly to the nursing home or into my mother's checking account? How does this benefit affect her Medicaid qualification? Thank you in advance for all responses.

Your mother will need the discharge papers called DD214.

That's all I know.
Reply to Sendhelp

You need to contact your County VA Dept and apply. You will need discharge papers etc. No, the benefit will go to Moms acct. You will need a blank check when applying. I would not allow the money to go directly to a NH. If she applies for Medicaid, the A&A will drop. Medicaid pays the higher of the 2 and u can't have both. I think she will get $90 a month in her PNA (personal needs acct)
MissyE Jul 20, 2021
Thank you. That's sort of what I'd determined by researching online.
(0)
I can answer some of your questions. Family has to apply. You can seek help at your local VA. My MIL had aid and attendance before she went on Medicaid while she started out in independent living. Your mother is in a nursing home. It may extend her ability to pay until she qualifies, but it will not disqualify her. After all it is still us taxpayers who are paying. Whatever she gets will just be bundled in together with her SS and pensions for garnishment. So yes it goes to the nursing home and she will not be able to keep much except the stipend that Medicaid allows. Now if you calculate how long $800 a month will defer her Medicaid application for a few months or a year, ask yourself if it is worth it to jump through hoops to put in the application. Is it worth your time?
MissyE Jul 20, 2021
Thank you. I've pretty much decided that I would take some time today to get the ball rolling. I need to call the bookkeeper at the SNC today anyway.
(0)
Your best bets are to review information on the VA's website and ask the nursing home admin what their role is in benefit application.   They probably have someone well versed in VA applications and interactions.
MissyE Jul 20, 2021
Thank you. I'm going to spend some time today to research more information and talk to the bookkeeper about the process.
(0)