I don't know. Any additional information? Yes you should be paid, but you need that set up legally with a care agreement and consult with an elder law attorney.
Reply to gladimhere

Not only paid as a caregiver but the added cost to the household.
Room, Board, electric and all the other expenses that she would have to pay for in her own home.
If you have consulted an Elder Care Attorney they could probably advise you on what you can charge for household expenses.
Reply to Grandma1954

I'm looking for answers for a similar situation. From what I can tell there's a few things to consider. One is your state. Some states will let you pay yourself for caring for your parent and it not be considered a gift if they go on Medicaid. BUT from what I can tell you have to be paid under a contract signed by the caree and you have to report the income on your taxes. I have the ability to have someone I know run payroll and do all the taxes for me so I can do that. I'm working on getting ahold of my attorney about the care agreement and particulars. I would definitely consult an attorney, preferably an elder care attorney.
Reply to onemanband

Oneman, you are on the right track. Good for you!

It would also be a good idea to ask the Area Agency on Aging to come in and do a needs assessment that will be useful in helping to determine payment for care.
Reply to gladimhere

www.nelf.org is the place to find a certified elder law attorney in your area.

They can help you get all the contracts and paperwork in order.