What do you do when an Alzheimer's patient starts to become mean to one person?

My Mom has Alzheimer's and recently she has become very angry around my step son. He is special needs, He watches TV and sings, very pleasant to be around but when he makes any type of loud noise my mother becomes very upset. Recently the care giver has caught Mom stomping on his feet and the other day she picked up a candle and was going to hit him. I have no idea what to do.

18

Answers

Thank you so much for the advice, I'm going to start researching these things, I would love to be able to stop his secziors that would be a dream come true.

The doctors did not figure this out. I did by researching "seizure triggers" and drug interactions. The MD agreed and wrote an order for "no caffeine" when the house staff kept allowing her to buy colas and ice tea. Other triggers for her included: getting into a hot vehicle, bright sunshine, and flashing lights on emergency vehicles. She goes to a Neurology clinic in Amherst NY.

What kind of doctor does she go to? He is my step son and I have known him for 5 years, just would like to see if his parents are aware of any of this. The only thing I have come to realize is that excitement will trigger a secziour I guess him being 19 when I met him I have just assumed that they have tried everything. I know they have been through several doctors and all have said the same that they have tried everything.

Aveeno, my sister is epileptic. We had to remove all caffeine from her diet and control salt intake. As for the meds, we give them in a specific order, seizure meds first and behavior meds an hour later. vitamins at lunch time. Evening meds--we give exactly 12 hours after morning meds. Again, seizure meds always first. We use extended release meds wherever possible. And we avoid Claritin, it set off her seizures; your son may have other triggers.

No, he has been through 23 years of trying to control them, he takes 3 pills in the morning and 9 at night and he still has them about every 2 weeks. They even tried to run testing to see if it came from one area of the brain so they could go in and remove the spot. I knew someone that this was successful with. We will keep trying but for now its all we have been able to do.

Aveeno, can the seizures be controlled with medication?

Sometimes you really have to research and make a lot of contacts to find some assistance; I think there's still an attitude that people with special needs don't fit into a traditional workforce or that it's too difficult to accommodate them.

He has been signed up with DARS for a few years now and had no luck. Thanks again for the help he is a very hard worker and loves to do repetitive work, everyone just loves to be around him but I believe the seizures are going to be the big hurdle. While in the work program he worked at a paper shredding plant, they liked him so much the extended him to work a year longer than he should have but they want us to pay them for him to come work there, I find that odd.

The Texas agency is DARS (department of assistive and rehabilitative services) at dars.state.tx.us

Really? We have a case worker working on it for him, I will let my husband know about this agency. Thank you very much.

Aveeno, if he is 23 and disabled, VESID could find him a job under a VESID contract, even with seizures. VESID is a federal program.