Follow

Ok. Now that I have everyone’s attention, here’s an idea I heard about yesterday. If you have a loved one in a wheelchair, you know that for the most part, people are kind and will hold doors for you. However, here’s a suggestion when there are no kind souls around. Carry a rubber wedge door stop or two. Park your LO, open the door and shove the wedge under the bottom to hold the doors open. Push the chair through and retrieve the wedge. Works like a charm!

❤️ Ahmijoy

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Wish I had thought of that myself in previous years of wheeling mom around. But will sure keep it in mind for future possibilities with some others. Thanks!
(2)

Awesome suggestion! Just put it in my purse (going out with MIL bag) oversized with bags, change of clothes, wipes, hand sanitizer, hand cream, extra Kleenex, etc. Almost feel sorry for anyone who tries to snatch it. Nothing else in it, more like an adult diaper bag camouflaged as a large purse. Keep my wallet in my front pocket, just big enough to hold ID, and credit card.
(1)

Ahmijoy, Isn't it amazing how these simple, little rubber devices are so useful in this computerized day and age! I even use one to stabilize my dryer on a slightly uneven floor in the laundry room.
(0)

Ahmijoy: This wedge idea is similar in nature to the system I devised for my mother, who was on a walker. Her storm door had a spring loaded device to keep the door open. I got her walker out of my auto's trunk, placed it near opening the auto door for her, I walked behind her, we arrive at her 3 steps, I then get in front of her as she enters the door, door gets closed by me.
(1)

Same idea would help anyone with a walker or rolator too!
(0)

Depending on the hinge type because you need the ones with space between - open the door & put the wedge in the hinge space ... this would be handy when the ground is slippery or uneven
(2)

Thanks so much! I’ll get some as soon as I get through this migraine episode!
(0)

Great idea! It still amazes me how many medical offices do not have the push button door openers. And many of these places often have an exterior door plus and interior door to open. And then when you get called to the room, another barrier of trying to get the wheel chair situated in a small room already taken up with those patient beds that have a large step-up to get the patient up there. You would think by now with all the ADA rules, the designers and people who work there would have these issues resolved by now.
(6)

Excellent post! You must be a marketer!
(0)

WOW!!! Excellent suggestion!!
(0)

Awesome idea 👍
(2)

Good idea. Here’s what I have done when there are no kind souls around. I turn my patient in the wheel chair all the way around facing backwards from the closed door. While holding the wheelchair with one hand I will open the door with my other hand just a little and then push it open with my back and walk backwards with the wheelchair until we are fully inside.

Sometimes a door closes quicker than I expect so you might have to be able move faster or get ready to hold the door with your hand after getting mostly inside.
(5)

And you can get them at the harbor freight for 6 for $1.
(7)

Never thought of that. I am going to buy one next week. Thanks for the suggestion.
(4)

Thanks for the post. I am putting one in my purse right now. Had the door issue at eye dr 2 weeks ago. Never again though. Thank you! I love these tips. Got any more?
(5)

Good suggestion.    I think caregivers need a special bag, just as Moms have, to carry all their devices.   For me, the critical ones was the plastic to turn the regulators on oxygen tanks on and off.   

It seems strange when I look at it now and realize there's no need for it, yet for years it was absolutely critical.
(7)

So simple, so clever :)

I almost feel I should run and pop a wedge in my purse, in the Useful Compartment, with the small scissors, hand gel, aspirin, sellotape and magnet. You just never do know when one is going to come in handy.

Which reminds me, via Blue Peter from 1969, in a real emergency you can fold up an ordinary size of piece of paper, and as long as you fold enough times you're going to end up with a good stout wedge (though not so wieldy as a real one).
(8)

Good on ya Ahmijoy!

Of course many of us are going to click on over here when you put it that way, Lol
I am surprised anyone beat me over here.

Good hack!
(8)

That's clever! I like it! Go good wheelchair mobility hack.
(3)

Wow thanks for posting that Ahmijoy, so simple and easy.... wish I had known about this back when I needed it!
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter