Follow

Me, I am sandwiched between taking care of my grandmother and my grandsons. Grams is 24/7 but grandbabies are a couple times a week. There are days were I give gram a shower in the morning and grandsons a bath in the evening. It's a crazy, wonderful, loving, exhausting, and fun experience. At the end of each day it is all worth it. I am going to keep coming back to this post on the days when I am overwhelmed and need to remind myself of the real purpose. family.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I watch over my 90-yo mom who lives right next door. I also manage care for her 2 older sisters in FL, ages 97 (with dementia) and 100 (no dementia, cares for 97-yo in their home). I manage care for my MIL in a LTC facility 3 miles away. I was also overseeing care for her husband with Parkinsons/Lewy Body up until fairly recently. In my house lives me and my DH, our 29-yo son and our 9-yo grandson. And a crazy Jack Russell Shorty. DH and I own a business and both work full-time. It's a combo of crazy and charming. Between carpooling, work responsibilities and the moms' doc appts and needs, there's never an unclaimed moment. As my mom would wryly say, "There's plenty of time to rest once you're dead."
(0)

My 79 year old father with Parkinson'so has been living with my family (husband and 2 teenagers) for 4 years. He is very easy to live with, contributes toward household expenses and helps out around the house when able. My husband is a saint and didn't think twice about the living situation. My father's care needs are requiring more time now and the main downside is lack of immediate family alone-time and me missing out on my teens' out of town sporting events to stay at home caregiving. That definitely creates a sense of guilt that I cannot be there for my children but we are open and they do say they understand. I know this is all a sacrifice but wouldn't change my decision and feel it's a good example for our kids-we have seen such empathy and growth from them that may not have developed at such a young age otherwise.
(0)

I'm in a similar position. I work full time, hubby is SAHD, and we have a 3.5 year old son. But we also have both of our fathers living with us. FIL has Alzheimer's and requires a bit more care than my dad (he's 10 years younger than FIL). We are absolutely exhausted, but wouldn't change anything. We don't typically trust NHs or anything. We'd rather take care of our own family members. Yes, always remember, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter