Follow

Someone else posted a question on here and it got me thinking about something my brother said the other day.

Bit of background. We don't really get on. We're different. I've been married 20 years, he's been divorced, various kids by different women, getting married again. Hes been bankrupt, in trouble with taxes nearly went to jail etc. Never had his own house, crashes at mates, women hes with, or rents off a mate.

Dads Will I know is 50/50. Knowing Dad that's all that's in there. Half his money, half his flat.

His flat is strange. Its shared ownership with a housing association. He pays part rent on the 40% he doesn't own. The 60% he does own is probably worth £70-£80K. Rent on the rest is pretty low. £200 or so a month. Other assets is saving prob £40K.

You guess what brother has in mind - not having his own place..... He's got his eyes on the flat. Knowing him he'll be thinking great I'll just move in.

Of course, in theory, if he wants to "own" the flat he'd need to buy my share off me (i.e £40K) - which, even with his share of savings (£20K) is not something that is going to happen.

Can guarantee he will assume he can live there and have the flat and pretty much won't understand that, half of it, at this point would be mine. He's not the sort you could trust to pay you either. Many years ago I bailed him out of having his car repossessed (I was skint too!) and despite promises after promises he NEVER paid me back.

Can also guarantee that if I push it I'll be the bad one whos trying to throw him out?

Guessing I'm not the first person ever to have something like this...

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Needhelp -Brother and wife to be currently live together in a rented place.
(0)

CM - brother jokingly said the other day that he'd have the flat when dad was gone because I didnt need it because I had a house.
(0)

Paul,

What is your choice? Sell, rent? Would you want to speak to your brother about it now? Where will he live with his new bride? Is she a property owner? Is he moving in her place? Maybe he doesn’t want your dad’s home. Inquire about it instead of guessing. Where is he living now?
(0)

This is in the UK right? I would think the housing association would have some say in who takes over the house. With you brothers background, they would not be guaranteed their rent. They do own 40%.

Maybe this is what u should look into, If Dad passes, how does it all work out since 2 people share in Dad's 60%. Maybe the Assoc. will buy you or both of you out. Then if brother says anything, you have paperwork showing him what he would need to do to be able to take over the house.
(0)

*What* did your brother say the other day?

The housing association that owns the 40% equity will not automatically transfer the agreement to your brother, not even if you were prepared to waïve your interest in the property.

If you want to know what their terms and conditions are exactly, concerning what happens on the death of a property owner, you had better go to them.

And Paul I can't believe you're already feeling sorry for yourself at the thought that your waste of space brother - as you describe him, not me - will think badly of you if you allow your father's will to stand.

You look forward with dread. You nurse grudges from deep in the past. I don't know if anyone has every mentioned the power of positive thinking to you? - check it out.

What would you consider a GOOD result?
(0)

Signing over the flat would mean, in effect, him getting a massive amount of my Dads legacy though.

Always wonder though, OK splitting the cash would be done by solicitor etc but how would the flat work? i.e. would it remain shared?

If push came to shove, and he just decided to move in, could I force the sale to get my share?
(0)

I would take the cash and sign over the flat if he bucks selling it outright.

I have a brother that would let me end up homeless as long as he got what he wanted, so I am all about not sharing anything with him. He can have it. As long as I am not responsible for his actions, I am ahead of the game.
(2)

I'd either sell the flat and split whatever's left or sign the flat over to the brother so you won't get into trouble for what he does with it. The liquidation of assets is almost always the best way to go when settling an estate.
(2)

Paulfoel123, “not so concerned about...” what? If yiur brother lives there, he or his sketchy friends and extended “family” will eventually destroy the apartment. And you, as the conscientious one, will become a slumlord who will put any funds realized from half ownership of the apartment into keeping the housing inspectors off your back. The apartment will become the proverbial “white elephant”.

No one can force you not to turn this apartment into a tug of war with your brother. Just make sure you consult an attorney and have it written that you will not be responsible for any damages or neglect your brother inflicts upon the place.
(3)

I think with this situation I'm with Ahmijoy sign dad's flat over to brother and just take half of the other assets (sold). If you try to share the flat your going to run into problems with your brother. He has shown you that he is not responsible and he will make a mess out of it. What do I mean? You will be the one responsible for repairs and whatever else comes down the road. Your brother wants the assets and none of the responsibility and no matter what you do, it will be your fault, even if you had nothing to do with it.

Or you could sell the flat and divide the money, but I am sure your brother won't go for that!

Don't walk away...run!

Just myv2 cents!
(4)

(0)

Not so concerned about that to be honest....

Just I know brothers eyes are lighting up at the prospect of a free flat that hes got to pay little rent for. The fact that he won't be able to pay me off wont matter to him - I'll be the unfair one.
(1)

Frankly? If possible, I’d get out now before this all goes down. Unless the apartment is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, I’d walk away and let brother have it. If you retain half-ownership after Dad is gone, you are also responsible for whatever goes on there. You will be a landlord and if anything untoward happens there...yep, it’s on you.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter