Follow

I am a 55 year old woman that suddenly lost my husband. He was 49 and died in november of 2015. I am alone for the first time. Not completely, I have three children and 11 grandchildren, but I'm alone, trying to do it all myself, I have always had a husband, don't know what to do with myself. There is no social places to go and nothing I can do that doesn't cost or include drinking. What do people do these days to meet people.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
First my heartfelt sympathy to you and your family for the loss of your husband.

Volunteering is a great way to meet people and there is no cost to you. Google volunteering and put in your zip code, you should get a list. If not, usually local hospitals truly love volunteers, and if you don't want to be around patients, there are a lot of other things you can do. Like books? If there is a local library, they also love to have volunteers.

What about working part-time doing something you really love to do?
(2)

TK, there are actually plenty of social opportunities that are free. FF mentioned libraries - that's a good start. Research the local libraries; if they're like the ones in my area, they have free computer classes, book clubs (some for men, some for women, some based on literary genre). They have free music programs.

You can also volunteer at places like Forgotten Harvest and other food distribution centers for income qualified people.

You can work in hospital gift shops. Sometimes zoos look for volunteers.

Perhaps local senior centers can use volunteers.

In what fields have you worked? Have you thought about a part-time job? What hobby interests do you have? Join a local club - whether it's woodworking, needlework (quilting clubs abound in some areas), or something else.

If you're political, campaigns always want free volunteers, especially as they're gearing up for the election.

Try charities - call the animal shelters.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter